Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Suitable Process for NGL Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

asade

Chemical
Oct 19, 2010
NG
Dear All,

I need a quick operational review with pros and cons for using the following processess for NGL Recovery system:
1. Turbo Expander process
2. Refrigeration process
3. JT-LTS process.

I would appreciate all experience comments.

Kind regards,

Abiodun

I am what I am by His grace

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

And what do you want for the second semester? You are really asking for a lot here.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual. Galileo Galilei, Italian Physicist

Zd04, aint not in any semester...lol.

Actually, am at the point of recommending one of the processes for NGL Recovery.
I seek insight on how to determine the best option.

Thanks

I am what I am by His grace

My point was that it would take a semester to answer your questions.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual. Galileo Galilei, Italian Physicist

Rougly speaking,
JT-LTS is used for shallow recovery of NGL (butanes and heavier only) and for hydrocarbon dewpoint conditioning only schemes;
Refrigeration cycles are used for say less than 50% recovery of C3; this would include lean oil absorption schemes also
Expander cycles and variations for deeper recovery of C3 and C2

These approx limits would be valid for NG streams where mol wt is say >20 on a CO2/ H2S / water free basis.

Expander cycles may need to be augmented with refrigeration if stream pressure is low.

Where upstream source pressure is adequate over the long term, expander cycles are used in cases where refrigeration cycles are thermodynamically more efficient due to increased simplicity / improvements in overall availability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back