Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Suitable temp. for insulation calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

afarboudi

Mechanical
Sep 22, 2015
NL
Hi
For insulation calculation which temp. should be used:
1- minimum ambient temp.
2- average annual temp.

and if you have any reference (such as standards or handbook)i will be thankful to tell me

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

don't you think what you're insulating might have something to with the answer?

TTFN
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!
faq731-376 forum1529

If the insulation is for heating purposes, use the minimum ambient temp, especially if freezing is a concern. If it is for cooling, use the maximum ambient.

Matt

Quality, quantity, cost. Pick two.

If you are thinking about insulation for a building you should find a civil engineering forum, this is main theoretical and/or process industry

Suggest approaching this by looking at the required plant availability.

Say the annual plant downtime is broken up into 5days unplanned shutdown, 10days annual maintenance. Of these 5days, we may assign say 4days for equipment breakdowns and other operating incidents, and leave one day for plant shutdown due to low ambient temp - excessive heat loss througn insulation.

1 day out of 365 = 0.27%

Then look at the tabulated data for daily min temp over the last 20years say, and find the daily min temp, below which the cumulative annual occurence is less than or equal to 0.27%.

It must be celarly shown that this excessive heat loss does lead to a plant shutdown due to high pressure drop, low operating temp or some other abnormality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back