Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Suitable Workstation Spec to Run SolidWorks Animator 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dilbert247

Mechanical
Dec 22, 2004
GB
Hi, does anyone have any recomendations for a workstaion spec for running SolidWorks Animator.
I am currently rendering an animation on a 2.6GHz Pentium 4 with 1.5GB Ram runining windows 2000 and SolidWorks 2005 SP0.1.
The problem at the moment is that I am trying to generate a movie at 24 FPS (Frames per Second), the whole presentation lasts 25 sec's. It is currently taking between 60-70 hours to create.
If anyone has any thoughts let me know.

Thanks

Andy

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is normal. A better workstation won't have much effect on the generation times. You could try using less FPS. I usually use around 15 FPS. it provides good quality and saves faster.

Increased chip speed will be the best thing to add (unless you're maxed out on RAM during the operation, which I doubt). You might want to make sure you don't have any hardware bottlenecks anywhere, too.

I'd guess you're using PhotoWorks to create large-screen rendering with complex lighting to get that sort of time out of a 25-second rendering. That's only 600 frames. I make huge renderings on my machine and they don't take that long to process after everything is set up.

Might check into an AMD Opteron and start running 64-bits if you decide to upgrade. Great prices for great performance. Check out Xi Computer's machines--best prices I've found--and don't be fooled by clock speeds such as 1.7 GHz. It's apples and oranges. My 1.7 GHz machine is roughly equivalent to a P4 3.0 GHz machine (for SW stuff) and it's almost a year old. Search the forum on this topic and you'll find a lot of posts (AMD GHz Opteron RAM etc.).

Jeff Mowry
Reality is no respecter of good intentions.

Video Card is important when making these animations. If your not using a supported video card that could decrease your perfromance as well.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
3DVision Technologies

Merry Christmas [santa3]
faq731-376
faq559-716 - SW Fora Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back