Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sulfur Free Coolant - Looking for a Spec?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rogue909

Mechanical
Mar 6, 2018
US
I have been tasked with going through our shop and performing a review of all of our fluids that touch parts. We manufacture bolts for primarily oil & gas but also pick up the odd job from military and aerospace.

I have been given a sulfur-free criteria and was told that was a requirement for mil-spec jobs and aerospace as well as a good general practice for oil & gas. In looking at our forging lubricants; they are labeled as "sulfur free" but contain trace elements. I've not yet looking at our machining coolant yet (I'm following the workflow of our parts) but I suspect I'm going to find more "sulfur free" coolant there as well.

I've looked for a specification that defines what "sulfur free" means but cannot locate one. I've also tried finding a spec that requires the coolant to be sulfur free but cannot find that as well.

Does anyone know of what the definition of "sulfur free" is and where a spec is that points to that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back