Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sump/basin clean

Status
Not open for further replies.

bravhorn

Civil/Environmental
Jan 24, 2011
GB
hi guys
i have a problem i need to carryout a clean of our cooling towers whilst on line. i can isolate one at a time as the system is balanced (there are 2 towers)but the problem comes with the sump as it is a common sump about 40000 ltr.is there any sort of vacum my water treatment company can run along the bottom to filter the sludge.
all help appriciated

thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, you pump the water out of the basin, through a cyclone filter or sand filter, and then back into the basin. Standard makeup should keep up with the losses from the filter. Depending on what kind of tower configuration you have, and the access they offer, this can be done without bypassing a cell.

If the sump is outside the cooling tower, you can use an air lift pump.
I once worked at a plant that cleaned a 10-ft wide by 40-ft long river water intake sump once a year using this device.
The internal pipe was size 4". It had to be moved in about 6" increments to removed sediment.
Admittedly the job was physically demanding.
But it worked

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=c057c820-5708-46f4-ae18-9c8c6a6a0171&file=TA-_Potential_of_Air_Lift_Pumps.pdf
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back