Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sump for industrial buildings

Status
Not open for further replies.

shahyar

Chemical
Feb 15, 2005
CA
I am not civil engineer and I don't want to design a trench-sump for an industrial building (Indoor Plant). But I am just wondering if there is a rule of thumb to estimate the number of required sump for such buildings. I have seen very small and very big buildings with only one sump! How do they do sloping without going very deep if the building is very long?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is no rule of thumb for putting sumps in buildings. Each application is unique. There is generally a plumbing code requirement that each floor have a floor drain, but not a sump.

Yes, it is a problem to install drains when the building is long.

Since the purpose of industrial floor drainage system is to keep standing liquid of the floor, floor slope is important. For cast-in-place concrete, positive drainage can routinely be obtained with a 1% (1/8" per foot) or greater slope.

However, once the liquid is off the floor (typically in a trench) then positive drainage is not as important unless there are suspended solids that need to be kept in suspension.
If suspended solids are not a concern, the trench bottom can have a very shallow slope, or perhaps even be level. This allows for long trench runs, without going very deep. Be careful, though - if there ARE solids to be transported by the liquid, there will be nothing but TROUBLE (settlement) in low-slope trenches.

[idea]
[r2d2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back