Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sunlight readable displays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vibro

Marine/Ocean
Sep 26, 2001
CA
There are many display panels that claim to be sunlight readable. They give the display intensity ranging from ~ 700 nits to 2100 nits. However, I have not yet found a specification that defines sunlight readable.

What are the parameters and levels that define sunlight readable?

Do display reflectivity or light intensity from the surrounding area play a role?

Is there a specification?
--

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is a very old (1977) and very good book from HP that covers this in great detail. It is the "Optoelectronics Applications Manual" ISBN 0-07-028605-1.

Chapter 6 is about contrast enhancement.

I use reflective LCD displays in a recent application. They have a fantastic contrast, but the ones I use cannot be read in total darkness. But, then again, it is difficult to work in darkness, too.

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
100 % recycled posting: Electrons, ideas, finger-tips have been used over and over again...

Vibro,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? Reflections and refractions cause LCDs to be useless in bright ambient light. Some manufacturers will add AG or AR to improve sunlight readability but the only solution is to use direct optical bonding. There are lots of standards for measuring the quality of direct optical bond. Resistance to UV light, operating temperature, fog, etc.

I can help in that department, let me know if it is still an issue.

Tulsabio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back