Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

superior electric slosyn stepper motor 72rpm 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

richard29e5

Electrical
Aug 6, 2005
US
can this small motor be hooked up to single phase to run only at one speed or does it need elaborate control.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Define "elaborate". It needs a stepper motor controller at the very least, but those can be anything from cheap and simple to complex and not so cheap. You can't just connect 2 wires out of the wall socket if that's what you mean.

Eng-Tips: Help for your job, not for your homework Read faq731-376 [pirate]

Whoa hold yer horses jraef! I have seven "superior electric Slosyn motors running at 72rpm" And they only need a simple RC network. They aren't really steppers. I wonder if Richard has accidentally snuck "stepper" in? Actually meaning synchronous since that is their only motor they advertise as 72RPM.

I believe they are really many pole'd synchronous motors with fantastic torque at low speed.

Richard; If you really mean 'synchronous' then just go to their site:
And hunt around a little they have a document on the RC network required.

Keith Cress
Flamin Systems, Inc.-

D'oh! I just saw "stepper".

Its a sync motor, not a stepper. I was told it was a stepper but looked it up . . . and it is a sync motor and there is a single phase rc circuit for it.
Thanks gents

Remember everyone that stepper motors are AC synchronous motors. The Slosyn motors that are marketed as synchronous motors are fundamentally the same as those they market as stepper motors, with only very minor changes. Both are 100-pole AC synchronous motors at root.

There are two differences I can see. The synchronous motors are wound for operation at 120 or 240 VAC. The stepper motors are typically wound for operation inverted from a 24, 48, or 70VDC source. In the synchronous motors, the two phases are tied together internally so there are only three leads; in the stepper motors, the two phases are kept separate so there are four leads.

I'd be very surprised if they did not use the same mechanical design to produce both types of motors.

Curt Wilson
Delta Tau Data Systems

Ah Curt, always cutting to the chase! Thanks! You mentioned that before. Maybe I'll remember this time.[lol]

That probably explains why I have seen this same Slo-syn stepper/synchronous confusion before.

Keith Cress
Flamin Systems, Inc.-

Well I'm giving Curt a purple star for that excellent explanation and so that he can keep up with Skogsgura in his quest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back