Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Superpave Wearing Course

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnstengineer

Civil/Environmental
Nov 26, 2011
US
I’m working on a project that has a paving spec of 4” BCBC and 2” of wearing. The wearing course is specified as 12.5mm superpave. It has been requested to substitute the 12.5mm superpave with a 9.5mm superpave mix. What are the advantages/disadvantages to using a mix with a finer aggregate? I know that it is preferable to have a minimum paving thickness of 2-3 times the largest aggregate size, but is there any concern with a maximum paving thickness? This project is a new parking area in Pennsylvania that will be subject to freeze/thaw.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

2" is about the thickest that I have seen 9.5 used successfully. It does seal a little better than the 12.5, but with that thickness, there may be more issues with rutting. I personally would stick with the 12.5 if it is going to be a 2" lift. If they want to do a 12.5 scratch with 9.5 surface, that would be fine, but they probably wouldn't want the extra labor associated with another pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back