Status
Not open for further replies.

ZHA

Materials
Aug 10, 2017
US
Hello All,
Code - ASME Sec IX
If I have a supplementary PQR with impact testing only, then does it need to have the same Heat Input as that of the original PQR?

Regards,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

DVWE,
With all due respect I have to disagree.

BPV Section IX
Edition/Addenda:
Para./Fig./Table No:
Subject Description: QW-401.3 and QW-403.6, Thickness Range Qualified for Impact Testing (2007 Edition)
Date Issued: 05/01/2008
Record Number: 08-576
Interpretation Number : IX-07-09
Question(s) and Reply(ies):

Background: A welding procedure qualification was performed on a 1-in. (25-mm) thick test coupon. Tension and bend tests were performed on the 1-in. (25-mm) plate. A second welding procedure qualification was performed on a 0.24-in. (6-mm) plate and only impact testing was performed. All of the essential and supplementary essential variables remained the same except for the coupon thickness.

Question: May the above PQRs be used to support a WPS for material requiring notch toughness with a qualified thickness range of 0.1875 in. (5 mm) to 2 in. (50 mm)?

Reply: Yes.

Heat input is a Supplementary Essential Variable so it cannot be changed,
Regards,
Shane

See also -

Perhaps I mis-read the question, or I am making some assumptions that I should not be.

But, based on the limited information provided by the OP, I assumed that he has two PQRs, one tested for impact testing only, and the other for tensiles and bends only. I could be wrong about that, but I can't think of many reasons to have a PQR tested for impact testing only, other than to qualify a WPS with supplementary essential variables, which it would be missing when qualified with tensiles and bends only.

It sounds like heat input was recorded on the original PQR, but without impact testing, it's pointless, because the whole purpose of limiting heat input is to guarantee impact properties. It also sounds like the two PQRs have differing heat inputs recorded. If that is the case, then the PQR with impact testing is the PQR that should be followed for determining heat input.

That's where I'm coming from. Sorry to make an ass of u and me [smile]

The devil is in the details; she also wears prada.

DVWE,
My apologies - I think I have got myself confused with "the same essential variables"

QW-401.1 Supplementary Essential Variable (Procedure).
Supplementary essential variables are in addition
to the essential variables for each welding process.
When a procedure has been previously qualified to satisfy
all requirements other than toughness, it is then necessary
only to prepare an additional test coupon using the
same procedure with the same essential variables, but additionally
with all of the required supplementary essential
variables, with the coupon long enough to provide
the necessary toughness specimens.

Heat input was not an essential variable for the first PQR so would not have to be the same for the second.
Cheers,
Shane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back