Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Suppliers of "Safety Related" Cooling Towers 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattNCSU03

Mechanical
Sep 22, 2005
US
Does anyone know of any cooling tower vendors that are capable of supplying a ASME Section III N-Stamped mechanical draft (forced or induced) cooling tower? I am aware of SPX/Marley but have not been able to locate any others.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The American Nuclear society puts out an annual version of Nuclear News which lists all manufacturers (I think in March or May). I don't have my copy anymore, but you may find someone who has kept their copy. This should provide you with a fairly extensive list.

Patricia Lougheed

Please see FAQ731-376: Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

Good suggestion Patricia, I forgot about that. The 2008 buyer's guide only shows one company for cooling towers, and that is Joseph Oat Corporation, They are qualified to ASME Section III and also have an Appendix B program.

Under "Ultimate Heat Sinks", the buyer's guide also lists American Beryllia, Inc. of Haskell, NJ; Applied Analysis Corp. of Reading, PA; and Plansee GmbH, of Austria. I don't know anything about this companies.

Note that in your title, you state you're looking for "Safety Related" cooling towers and then in the post you mention ASME. They are two different qualifications. Good luck in your search.

The cooling towers I am looking for would be for Ultimate Heat Sink. jpankask, do you know what section of code that falls under? I have been operating under the assumption that safety-related = ASME Section III = N-Stamped but I admit code and licesning issues aren't my strong point.

Matt

Actually, for the US, "safety-related" means that a licensee has a quality assurance program that complies with 10 CFR Part 50, Appendix B, "Quality Assurance Criteria for Nuclear Power Plants and Fuel Reprocessing Plants" and that the system, structure, or component was designed, built, tested, and operated in accordance with that program. It is possible to have safety-related components that are not ASME Section III components (for example, electrical components).

You can find out more about the quality assurance requirements from the NRC web page: . Choose "Electronic Reading Room" on the left hand side, then "Basic References." About halfway down the page there is a heading "Statutes and Regulations." The second item will take you to a page where you can select Part 50 - and from there, scroll down until you get to Appendix B.

Patricia Lougheed

Please see FAQ731-376: Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back