Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Suppressing specific features of an assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernardg

Computer
Nov 19, 2002
US
Hello,

We have an assembly model of a motor. We would like to suppress certain features of this assembly and display the others. Since they are all associated together when we oriented and constrained the model using mate, align, etc., when one is suppressed most of them are suppressed. So I had to delete the constraints before suppressing it, which is very time consuming. Is there any easier way to tackle this problem without deleting the constraints?

Thank You.
Ben

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you are using 2001, you can select "hide" in the model tree. This will simply hide a component or components without suppressing constraints. Or, if you want to simply set some of the parts to wireframe for visibility, you can create a disply state that best suites your needs. To get there: VIEW/ MODEL SET UP/ COMPONENT DISPLAY/ CREATE.

Hope this helps,

JW

You can use simplified representation of assembly by excluding the parts which you don't want. Refer Pro/E help for more details about simplified representation.

Cheers...
Yogesh Birari

Ben;

Layers (like in AutoCAD, yes, I said it!!) are used to hide features, 2D items, and components in assemblies. You CANNOT use layers to hide a part solid feature (hole, cut, protrusion, solid...), but you can use it for datum planes, axii, cosmetic sketches, datum curves, and surfaces.

In assembly mode, all the above apply, plus you can include components in layers.

When layers are blanked, the items in the layers are not shown on the screen, and there is no consequence with Parent/Child relationships (unlike SUPPRESS). But the items are in SESSION though, so memory is affected.

In addition, you can save different layer schemes or even have models open in a predetermined layer setting.

Ever try to assembly a part in a 5000 item assembly, and accidently turned on the datum planes? Well, layers can control the display of datums for only the items that are being assembled.

Let me know if you need more info.

Steve

Do you want to suppress features in an Assembly or components?

It is the intended function of Pro/E to suppress the related features when the parent feature is suppressed. How can you have a suppressed feature when another feature (child relationship)requires reference from it. Solid features are not allowed in assembly mode, but in part modeling you cannot suppress a hole feature and think that the rounds on the edge of the hole will resolve (or not suppress) themselves.
If the assembly features were referenced to a skeleton you would be able to suppress each feature without suppressing others, since each feature would be independent of the next. Skeletons can be difficult to work with, but possible.

Good luck.

Doing a good and solid assembly from the beginning, will save a lot of time later.
I think it would help a lot using the default datums as reference (they never move), and using coordinate systems for creating assemblies.
If I have to choose between layers and simplified reps, I would prefer simplified reps, even family tables.

im4cad
Pro Design Services, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back