Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Suppressing threaded holes

Status
Not open for further replies.

NXLars

Mechanical
Aug 12, 2011
SE
Hi,

I've got a problem regarding the suppression of threaded holes.
In my model i have a couple of threaded holes that I suppress by expressions in the cases where I don't use them. The suppression itself works as expected, but when i run Check Mate I get an error complaining on that I have Symbolic Threads that are manually suppressed (my Check Mate tests does not allow for me to have manually suppressed features).
Since I don't have created any Symbolic Threads in my model, only threaded holes, I would need a way to "fully suppress" the threaded holes in a way that doesn't consider the underlaying Symbolic Threads as manually suppressed.

Is there a way to make the Symbolic Threads "external" to the threaded holes, without creating holes and threads separately, and this way suppress them with the same expression? Or is there another way to solve this problem?

This problem occurs in my fully automated templates so I'd like to be able to solve the problem without leaving it to the users of the templates to delete the unneeded threaded holes. The threaded holes are also instanced which maybe also is a part of the problem...

NX 6.0.5.3

/Lars

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The instance features ( Rectangular & circular arrays) are creating head-aches for us too when used with suppression with expression in recent versions of NX. Try to use pattern face. I know you cannot use this with threaded holes. For threaded holes try and use mirror feature.

Suresh

Thanks for your input!

The solution in this case will be to do all the threaded holes separately instead of instance them. Unless someone comes up with a better solution.
My model is an automated turbine rotor, so any solution other than circular instance/pattern will not do the trick. :)

jnikolauk said:
Wouldn't mirror feature reverse the direction of the thread?

NO, at least not starting with NX 8.0 (technically, you couldn't actually mirror a threaded-hole before NX 8.0).

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Creating a pattern of points in your sketch and then selecting all sketch points in your hole dialog might get you where you need to go?

JHTH
NX 7.5.5 + TC 8.3.2.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back