Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Suppression of Default Pilot Holes for Threaded Holes 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tunalover

Mechanical
Mar 28, 2002
US
Folks,
Generally speaking, the machinist knows best what pilot hole to use for a given thread size, thread depth, and thread material. That's why it's really stupid for PTC to add pilot hole call outs to all threaded holes. At what code revision did they start doing this? Does anyone know how to suppress the pilot hole call out from the model annotations and the drawing? Is there a config,pro setting or a way to edit *.hol files to do away with these?

Tunalover

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Possibly in the *.hol files you can edit the Callout information text at the top of the file. There is a CS document on how to modify *.hol files, but I don't have it at my fingers.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Pilot hole or minor diameter size? If it is the minor diameter, that's the engineer's responsibility, particularly if the thread will mate with rolled threads that have more stringent minor diameter requirements.

3DDave,
I'm not following you. All I'm saying is that, in order to get a No. 10 threaded hole .25 deep you just need to call out ".190-32 UNF-2B X .25 DP" and that's it. No pilot hole call out is necessary as the machinist will decide what to use based on the material type and other considerations. One size doesn't fit all so I believe it was a wrong move for PTC to include a pilot hole call out with all their threaded holes; it's unnecessary and ties the machinist's hands to using only one size. That's why I'd like to suppress that functionality.

Tunalover

@3DDave-
I don't agree that the tap drill size should be called out. The tap drill is a process step that has nothing to do with the end-item so it doesn't belong on the drawing IMHO. That's why I want it removed from the threaded hole drawing annotations.

Tunalover

Tunalover,

What you are looking for is the *.hol files for each of the thread types that PTC has listed (the files are plain text, just named with a .hol extension). They are located in: <loadpoint>/text/hole for Wildfire and <loadpoint>/Common Files/<date code>/text/hole for Creo (unless you have a custom hole file location specified in your config.pro).

The thread notes started either in Wildfire 3 or 4 and have not changed since. If you have access to the Wildfire/Creo help files, there is a ton of customization information located there under <Creo Parametric>Part Modeling>Part Modeling>Engineering Features>Hole>Standard Holes>Using Hole Charts.

Not only is it possible to edit the default note, but it is also possible to define a unique note for every possible combination of options in the threaded hole panel. The tables, method, and parameters are the same regardless of version of WF/Creo.

This link should take you straight to the "Using Hole Charts" topic in the Help center for Creo 2.0 (PTC login requried).

Tap drill size sets the amount of thread engagement. For any particular size there are usually several drills that give different percentages of thread form; there are even recommendations that for precise control of thread form the holes be reamed prior to tapping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back