Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

surface alignment...nx4

Status
Not open for further replies.

timb622

Industrial
Oct 16, 2002
I need to model a face that transitions between a rectangular face and an elipse. It seems easy enough, but I can not get the surface to align properly. I've tried different creation methods, and tried the different alignment options, but can't seem to get it to work. Thank you for any advise you can give me. NX4.0.0.25.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

can you use some sort of reference geometry (datum plane or curves) in a "ref" reference set? I do that often when we cannot get certain parts to align correctly (usually because they're .00000001 off or something)

I'll take a look at it for you later if no one responds back

Break the ellipse into 4 segments, this way you can map the 4 edges of the rectangle to the 4 'edges' of the ellipse using the freeform swept command.

I prefer to use the Alignment method 'By Points'. In the attached file, I've modified your model using that approach. To see how this works, just double-click on the the Through Curves feature and toggle ON the 'Specify Alignment Points' option about half-way down the dialog to see the points and to also move them or add additional ones.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back