Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Surface area calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bamik

Automotive
Apr 22, 2003
FI
Hello!

I've found out that SW calculates the surface area in assembly that covers even surfaces that will be under the weld. Is there a way to avoid that? For example the offers of painters are based on square meters of the painted object and beause of that I've have to calculate it manually. Anyone facing the same problem?

Bamik

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Bamik [wavey]

Wouldn’t you just have to divide the surface area by 2 to get an answer?

It’s late and my thinking may be faulty. Granted, there would be a slight difference between the inner surface area and an outer surface area, but that shouldn’t amount to much (material thickness * 4). Not enough for anyone to argue about in that kind of an estimate, at least.

There are undoubtedly all kinds of examples where this would not work. An assembly with a little box welded to a big plate and both sides of the plate have to be painted is one. Most of those things should be fairly obvious to spot and solve without too much trouble.

Like I said – it’s late – so goodnight.

Random_Shapes_Pointed_shapes_prv.gif
Lee
Random_Shapes_Pointed_shapes_prv.gif

Don’t wait!!!! Procrastinate now!

My mistake, perhaps I wasn't clear enough.

The problem occurs when a large assemly is builded for example of large I-beams that are wide from the top. The I-beams are welded to eachother by top and bottom. Two stacks like these carry a plate on top of them. So, the each top of I-beams is not painted and off course, the area covered by the top of I-Beams at the bottom of the plate.

So, if this assembly is calculated by SW, it will give total surface area of components. What I would rather have is the visible surface area of components.

Bamik

Try making a temprorary part file by combining the components and get your surface area from that.

[bat]On justice and on friendship, there is no price, but there are established credit limits.[bat]

If you pick a group of individual faces in a part or assembly, the measuring tool will tell you the area.

[bat]On justice and on friendship, there is no price, but there are established credit limits.[bat]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back