Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Surface exactly between two other surfaces

Status
Not open for further replies.

HonzaS

Mechanical
Nov 5, 2010
CZ
Hi,

I would need to create a new surface, which would be located exactly between two other surfaces. Concretely surface between two blades.

Illustrating images:
- -
I use NX 7.5 and I haven`t found a way how to do it yet. It could be done maybe with using Point Cloud..?
If it can`t be done in NX, could you recommend me another software?
Thank you very much for your advices.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can do the following in NX. What you will utlimately use is the Mid Surface Command (Insert > Surface > MidSurface > ...). I thought you might be able to use this function directly on the 2 faces, but it seems the function is looking for a solid to find the face pairs. So perform the following steps
1. Extract the to primary faces (Insert > Associative Copy > Extract Body - Type = Face, Face Option = Single Face, Select each face > OK
2. Create a Ruled Surface between the 2 faces (Insert > Mesh Surface > Ruled - Alignment = By Parameter, Settings Preserve Shape = Checked)
3. Sew all the faces into a Solid (Insert > Combine > Sew)
4. Now you can use the MidSurface Function (Insert > Surface > Mid Surface > Face Pairs - Select the Solid, Face Pairing = Select the Automatically Create Face Pairs Icon
Done

I have already made a solid from the space between two contiguous blades.
-
One point of the required surface is in the following picture. It has to be in the middle of the arc between two points of blade faces.
-
I don`t understand the function Mid Surface. I have tried a various options, but it still does strange things, which I can`t influence.

Is there any other way, how to fix my problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back