Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Surface knitting with Solid (core/cavity creation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

airkidd

Industrial
Aug 9, 2002
US
Hi all,

I am running 2001+ SP 4.0. Here's my problem. I am creating core and cavity for a plastic injection mold. The way that I create the core and cavity is by doing an extrude upto surface. Unfortunately, i am having trouble creating my surface. The surface is usually created by radiating a surface at the parting line, plugging holes in the part (using filled, planar, and lofted surfaces), and then knitting them all together using a part face as the seed face. However, when I use lofted or filled surfaces in the knit surface I get the error: Surface-Knit1: The radiate surface cannot subdivide the body. This does NOT happen when I use ONLY radiated and planar surfaces, but those surfaces dont allow me to plug non-planar holes in the part. I think that it used to be possible to use loft and filled surfaces in previous versions. Does anyone know if this was fixed in SP 5.0? Is there a work-around that anyone knows of? Are there any other techniques for creating core and cavity?

Hope you can help me.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You should post this at comp.cad.solidworks I personally don't use many surfaces so I'm not sure how to fix this problem. If you don't have access to a Server to get to the Newsgroups try this server...its free after you register

I know someone there can help you, Scott Baugh, CSWP [spin] [americanflag]
credence69@REMOVEhotmail.com

*When in doubt always check the help*

Hello,

I would recommend that you contact your reseller on this one. Even if you are not on support, they should help you with something like this which is critical to your business. You many need to send them your files.

cheers,

Joseph

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back