Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Surface marks, stainless steel 304 seamless casings

Status
Not open for further replies.

nottoobright

Industrial
Sep 17, 2006
TH
I am producing pins (male fittings on extension pipes) for a job in Libya. The raw material is Chinese manufactured seamless SS304L, 6 5/8" casings. My problem is, when they have score lines inside the casings from the mandrel, they do rotational grinding to make a uniform inner diameter surface.
This gives you a "scratched finish".
My product has now been inspected and rejected by the Libyan government inspectors on the basis that ASTM 312 does not allow this surface finishing.

Can anyone tell me conclusively what ASTM allows in this case? The inspectors are willing to listen but only if I can show documentary evidence.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

14. Workmanship, Finish, and Appearance
14.1 The finished pipes shall be reasonably straight and
shall have a workmanlike finish. Removal of imperfections by
grinding is permitted, provided the wall thicknesses are not
decreased to less than that permitted in Section 9 of Specification A 999/A 999M.

I don't know of anything in A312 or A999 that would prohibit a mechanical finish (turn, grind, polish).
ASTM standards only say what they directly say. There is no inference or interpretation.
If the inside lines remain after the grinding and they are more than 0.005" deep then they want to reject based on the general workmanship clause. You can't fight that.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

You should have asked the Libyan government inspectors what is their specific surface finish requirement and re-work based on their input.

Thanks Edstainless for your helpful reply. I had looked up clause 14 in the ASTM specifications and read about the workmanship but did not find any indication of the figure .005". The grind marks are well within this range. Can you refer me to the page which refers to this depth of grind marks?
Than you also to metengr for your reply. I agree. The end specification lies with the customer requirments however this one point is vague and I have product finished.

I believe that I pulled the 0.005" from the government requirement section. Either way, if they are rejecting then they must have a specified depth that they are working to. The grinding it self is not a basis for rejection.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back