Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

surface meshing options

Status
Not open for further replies.

rb1957

Aerospace
Apr 15, 2005
CA
have they deleted the option to specify the numbers of elements on a side ?

i meshed a bunch of surfaces at the same time (all with the same default size). usually it'll copy the meshing at an edge, but sometimes it doesn't (probably because the surface definition used different points, though i thought i was very careful). so i was left with one edge where i had 7 elements on one side and 6 on the other. no problem i thought, i'll change the meshing to be 6x4 elements (to match the adjacenet surfaces). but i couldn't find that option, so i just editted the mesh and added a triangle.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi rb1957,

Try the Geometry/Surface/NonManifold Add command. It is very useful it merges the selected surfaces and its curves.
Then when you define the mesh size on these surfaces you can see that all interfacing curves are merged (if that is what you want to do)

Best Regards.

both good suggestions but i guess i was trying to understand why some surfaces mesh consistently and others done ?

a very simple model ... create points, make surfaces at the points (YoY does FeMap duplicate the points ?), mesh all the surfaces at the same time (same mesh size on all surfaces). the best idea i can come up with is that although the geometry is apparently identical there is some difference in the point definition causing FeMap to have a "spaz" attack. having mulitple points at the same location means i can't consistently pick the same point in making surfaces (YoY can you equivalence nodes, but not points ?)oddly it was consistently only one edge that didn't mesh well (so the easy fix is to drive the mesh of that one surface to match the surrounding surfaces).

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Hello!,
Use command "Geometry > Solid > Stitich", this is my favorite command in FEMAP. Select all surfaces and use a stitching tolerance of say 1e-4. The tolerance can be adjusted to facil­itate the closing of gaps between surface edges.

When Cleanup Mergeable Curves is “on”, which is the default, FEMAP will remove all internal curves which are redundant. The “stitched” geometry will contain as few surfaces as possible by removing curves which are not needed to define the overall topology of the geometry. When “off”, all of the surfaces being stitched together will remain in the geometry.

Best regards,
Blas.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blas Molero Hidalgo
Ingeniero Industrial
Director

IBERISA
48011 BILBAO (SPAIN)
WEB: Blog de FEMAP & NX Nastran:

And YES, when you create surfaces sharing points, FEMAP creates new coincident points. Use F6 > POINTS > label mode > ID and this will active labels of points, and plot points in the screen, you will see duplicate point labels. Using command "Geometry > Solid > Stitch" will remove both internal edges and duplicated points, and make thinks easy!!

stitch-surfaces-example.png

Best regards,
Blas.

PD
Also, another important benefit of this command is the correct orientation of surfaces: all will be aligned correctly, TOP with TOP or BOTTOM with Bottom, very important when dealing sith Shell elements to postprocess stress results correctly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blas Molero Hidalgo
Ingeniero Industrial
Director

IBERISA
48011 BILBAO (SPAIN)
WEB: Blog de FEMAP & NX Nastran:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back