Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Surface Roughness tester 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

var10

Mechanical
Apr 4, 2013
IN
Hi Everyone,

I have drawings that specify the surface roughness on a a face. And to check this there are several cheap surface roughness guages. But I am wondering if there are anything like a chart where different roughnesses are pinned and you can just rub your fingers on it feel it and rub your fingers on the actual part face and feel if it is similar. Just like a paint chart that you would find in a local hardware store with different colours and finishes.

I know it is not the correct way to do inspections, but for now we are not manufacturing (prototype stage). This would be temporary check. Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

When doing the comparison use your finger nail on the surfaces. This will simulate the normal process of measuring the finish.

Bill

Make sure and pay attention to how the same # finish from a different process may look or perhaps with a finger nail even feel different.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back