Surface temperature Calculations (HX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Farhan Ahmad

Mechanical
Nov 6, 2017
AU
Hi,

Could anyone please help me regarding calculating the surface temperature of HX tube and tubes are covered by aluminium sheet? In this case, the 5.02m^2 area is exposed to sun, 500kW/m^2 peak flux on surface, total no of tubes 20 are arranged in parallel manner in one row (parallel flow) and covered with aluminum sheet and the spacing between tubes is 2mm.
I have already calculated total thermal resistance, heat transfer to fluid , heat absorbed by tube, heat losses include reflection and convection. But the outlet temperature is not according to desired output.So what approach should i follow to solve this problem? The attachment includes the equations which i'm using to calculate the surface temperature.
1_mgi3im.png
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

DNI of any particular area varies with time so i am considering peak average flux 800w/m^2. The allowable peak flux for various HTF is different and in my case,considering water as HTF so 0.2MW/m^2 is valid. If you have solar field of 700 heliostats with surface area of 7.2m^2 and concentration ratio of around 500 then the total allowable peak flux of receiver area of 6m^2 is 500kW/m^2. Thanks

My question is regarding surface temperature, i already have posted the equations. And mostly calculations are about the basic thermodynamic analysis. The crux of this problem is that the solar radiations hit on surface and i need to know best approach to calculate the surface temperature? What sort of the calculations do you need to solve this problem? Thanks

I am uncertain about the energy balance equation because that's according to the geometry of surface. I think i might have not included some aspect of surface or something is missing while taking account all factor in above mentioned equations.That's why the outlet temp isn't correct. Eventually those equations could be used to get the average surface temperature Ts? Thanks

No, we cannot. You STILL have not shown a diagram/sketch of the heat exchanger arrangement (plan and elevation views), nor where the aluminum "cover" is nor how it is to be used - maybe as a shade for the heat exchanger?

is the heat exchanger being heated by the sun, or losing its heat by natural convectin to the (hot ?) or "cool" air flowing by the heat exchanger tubes that are themselves shaded under the aluminum sheet?

Is the Al sheet re-radiating its heat energy to the top tubes of the heat exchanger?

No info, no valid answers. Only bad guesses.

HI rackoope
I have attached some rough diagrams of the arrangement of the tube & other stuff. I think you can get some good idea from this scenario. Thanks

1_c7da7l.png
4_otxma0.png
4_l78bhs.png

Energy balance eq in case of heat conduction through Fin;
3_ctwxuy.png

In fin case, the total area is considered carefully as area of conduction isn't simple.

Energy balance eq in case of heat transfer through tube;
1_fopomz.png

The total thermal resistance is combination of conduction and convection.

By solving above those eq simultaneously, Ts for tube and fin can be determined. After it, average surface temperature is considered as overall surface temperature.Thanks
2_dx6qs8.png

What is the difference between your calculated and your measured temperature? When I took heat transfer years ago, our professor use to say that if your calculated values were within 50% of the measured values, you did pretty good. So where do you stand now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back