Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

surface to parametric

Status
Not open for further replies.

alnour

Mechanical
May 6, 2003
US
I am new to ProE and I am trying to make a parametric part from a existing part that is one big surface. It has complicated geometry in it and very difficult to get any kind of dimensions off it. Is there an easy way to measure this part accurately to make a new part of it?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you're new in Pro/E, it's going to be tough for you to start with surfacing.
You can measure at anytime on any part using Analysis-->Measure from the top menu.
If it's an imported part, you will not be able to show dimensions on the drawing, neither to see the part's history. Finally you'll have to do a lot of measurements, datum curves, surfaces, etc., depending of the complexity of your part.

im4cad
Pro Design Services, Inc.

Thanks for the help. I have been taking measuements off the part to redraw it. A long painful process. Especially since there is alot of rounds and draft angles. Makes life difficult.

Something that could be helpful is to create a bunch of x-sections. It may be easier to see what is going on with the surfaces if you do this. You can even measure distances between Xsection entities (points and curves) using Analysis/Measure.

Hi Alnour

Do not be discouraged about this process, all the knowledge you gain from this part will help you on the next easy/hard part.

Trust me it gets easier. Just remember if you are using alot of button clicks to do a task, there's probably a faster/efficient way to to that task. Don't be afraid to look for them.

Tofflemire

hai,
if you ready to use other packages facility use imageware and get the pts and curves then import it to pro/e and build your model,i hope this will reduce your work time,
reg,
prakash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back