Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Surge Vessl with Internal Oil Bucket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

123engr

Chemical
Dec 10, 2012
Hi all,

Please I need information on how to design a Produced Water surge Vessel.

The original intent of the Produced Water Surge Vessel Design is to provide a hold-up volume for the pipeline pumps. The water inlet into the vessel is from the upstream Flotation cell and Skimmers.

The Client is asking me to design the Surge vessel with an oil bucket inside as an additional safety measure should there be an offset from the upstream equipment.
Please, how can I design the Surge (hold-up) Vessel with the oil bucket?

I am what I am by His grace

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Design it like an oil separator with the same water volume as the Surge Vessel. The inlet oil flow will be nil during normal operation and will be equal to the design oil flow from the Flotation cell and Skimmers during upset conditions.

Good luck,
Latexman

Technically, the glass is always full - 1/2 air and 1/2 water.

Can you define "oil bucket". I'm sure I know what you're talking about, but not using this terminology. Is the surge drum atospheric pressure if it's coming from a skimmer??

A sketch of your system will help a lot to understnad and confirm what your issue is.

My motto: Learn something new every day

Also: There's usually a good reason why everyone does it that way

Dear LittleInch,

The surge vessel operates between 1-3 psig. A utility gas is used to maintain the pressure and prevent vacuum within the vessel during pumping activities as the operation would be continuous.

Like I said earlier, the vessel provide hold-up for the pipeline pumps. The oil bucket was asked to be provided to mitigate against oil flow into the pump fluid incase of process upset in the upstream equipment.

Find attached the Process Flow Schematic for the operation.

I am what I am by His grace

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=380a4e16-e676-4995-8ecf-aa1332457b3c&file=PW_FLOW_SCHEMATIC.pdf
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back