Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Survey camera stuck up pipe. HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

jball66

Civil/Environmental
Apr 23, 2003
GB
Can anyone give a decent answer on how to remove a CCTV camera that has broken down inside a sewer pipe. Its approx 60m in. Its wheel driven, so is a dead weight to pull and it may be jammed up. The control cable attachment is weak, so I don't want to pull it out using that.

Does anyone have any ideas.

tia

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Unfortunately, this is when the backhoe is called to the site....

If you have more time, perhaps sending another camera (with a stronger retreival cable) to determine the problem would be a possibility? I have heard of folks using a jetter to pull a chain/cable past the camera to the next manhole, attaching a hook, etc and pulling it back through, but I wouldn't try that unless you know what's obstructing it.

Hopefully, this is covered in your contract and by your insurer. Typical contract terms are below.

"If a camera becomes jammed in a sewer and cannot be pulled out, the "Owner" will recover the camera by excavation where economically justified at no cost to the Contractor. The Contractor shall insure the camera against total loss or damage.

It looks like EricC has the best "no-dig" solution. But I would probaly dig it up. There is a major fault in the pipe. It would need an excavation to repair that piece before any other rehab is done.

Did the camera get jammed up or did it fail mechanically? One will involve an excavation, the other may involve another solution. Is it possible to get a camera from the other side to investigate the cause, noting of course that it is concievable that you may be excavating to rescue TWO cameras?

KRS Services

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back