Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Suspension bridge for piping? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoughtclaw

Structural
Apr 28, 2016
US
Hey folks, I've been asked to design a bridge structure that will carry some piping across a parking lot, a span of 70 feet. The client was thinking a suspension bridge might make the most sense, given the long span, but we're only talking about a load of 2.9 pounds per lineal foot, and the pipe is only 2" in diameter. Obviously the concern with just using a channel or I-beam or what have you is that it would have to be far heavier, but a suspension bridge would require an awful lot of labor. Does anyone have some advice for me?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why is my first thought.

You're going to spend a fortune to carry one 2 inch diameter pipe at ? high 20 odd m across a parking lot. Difficult to believe there isn't an alternative.

What's at the edge of the parking lot? Anything to hang anything off. A sketch or picture would help a lot.

Suspension of something like this can be done but need a lot of lateral support to stop it turning into a modern day tacoma narrows...

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Yeah, but a suspension bridge sure would look cool.

This does seem odd. Just get a direction driller to run it under without trenching. As long as you don't have a bunch of other utilities running under there, it's not that hard. If it absolutely must go over, then a truss would be a good option. A pair of 36" LH series open web joists with a bunch of x-bracing might get you there.

A hybrid suspension and structure. Never seen that before but could work.

I'll have to remember that.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

A suspension bridge seems like the wrong answer, or maybe it's possible that they're just using the wrong terminology.

What you want is a box truss. Aside from dead and wind/seismic loads, make sure it's designed for ice loads in accordance with your latest adopted building code. Ice is heavy.

You should assume they'll want to install more pipes/conduits in the future. Maybe make a judgement call based on your experience with the client. For instance, maybe assume that they'll want to run (20) 3" pipes across this thing, ask the client if that's a reasonable assumption, and then design it accordingly. Make sure you list how many pipes it was designed for on your drawing.

Why not just attach the water line to a cable and run it across? Maple syrup industry has been doing this for decades for sap collection.

Make one of those squiril bridges.
They will come and take selfies.

Jhnblgr. "Sling it from a cable."

--Einstein gave the same test to students every year. When asked why he would do something like that, "Because the answers had changed."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back