Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

suspicious friction coefficient for anodized die extrusion profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

cervantes

Mechanical
Aug 3, 2006
PL
Hello,

strange situation - anyone can help me
I have a profile, drawing stated as follows:
material Aluminum 6063F22, Aging T6, natural anodizing 10my

now, two different batches from the same supplier have difference in friction coefficient (against homogenous polyurethane material) around 40% !!!

does anyone know how the hell they manage to achieve such unstability?....
I discovered this today and I got stuck - is it other type of alloy, maybe something with anodizing?....

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Since it's the anodize coating that is in contact with the urethane material, that is what you need to look at. Was the same anodize process used for both batches? Surface texture can also have a large effect on friction values. A variation of 40% in measured friction coefficient between single samples tested at different times is not that unusual.

Can you provide more information regarding processing of the test samples, how the testing was conducted, and the results of the testing.

ok, we made a profilograph test for both profiles (this is a die extrusion profile), made in all possible directions - value of "Ra" parameter is almost the same (0,005 difference is max.)

I clean one of the samples 12 hrs in aceton (the one which has definitely lower friction coefficient), because I thought it will remove invisible oil film - no bigger effect

I will estimate friction coefficient today, but organleptic there is no doubt that there is a diffference

honestly - I do not know what is the reason, I was hoping that profilography test will give an answer, but it creates more questions

What are the units of that "0.005" difference in Ra surface roughness? A difference of 0.005 inch in surface roughness would be huge, but a difference of 0.005 micrometer is quite modest.

this case was just solved
I haven't explained exactly that both of them were machined.
Now we checked friction coefficient before and after machining, even if it is cleaned with alcohols etc. you can not completely remove invisible thin oil film.

Does anyone has experience with cleaning systems etc?

One of the steps in anodizing is a cleaning in hot, alkaline soap. Try using dishwasher detergent for your laboratory cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back