Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SW 05 Mates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nwaune

Mechanical
Jul 29, 2004
US
Hello,

I am building an assembly in SW 05 with about 100 mates. I have a planes defined in the assembly which I use to control the position of components.

For example, 3 parts are mated coincidental to Plane 1 using planes from the parts files. Plane 1 is positioned 10" from the orgin. If I change the position of Plane 1 to 11", then 2 of the 3 components also move. The 3rd component gives a mate error that states, "Planes not coincidental, 1.00 difference". Reloads do not fix the problem. I can fix the problem by editing the mate, but this is rather annoying.

This problem occurs everytime I move a positioning plane. Is this a bug in SW?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Nick

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Check to see if your part is Fixed". By default, the first part of an assembly is always Fixed. Rightclick the part and set it to Float.

[green]"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."[/green]
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943.
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Do any parent's of the component's plane have in-context references to the assembly? It's usually that sort of circular reference that gets me that error.

Other times, SW is just confused, and I have to delete the offending mates and re-create them. After that, it behaves.

I can't guarantee it's one of those two possibilities though.

MadMango
The offending parts are free to float when not mated.

DDunnJTC
I did not think of the in-context references. I will look into it. I hope its not that SW is confused, I would rather have something that can be fixed.

Thanks to both of you,

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back