Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SW 2009 SP 0 is out 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
$%!#$@!#$&

I was hoping for another couple of days, if not weeks, to plan my implementation timeline.

Joe Hasik, CSWP/SMTL
SW 08 x64, SP 4.0
SW 09 x64, BETA 1
Dell T3400
Intel Core2 Quad
Q6700 2.66 GHz
3.93 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 4600

Wow--apart from the Barcelona gig, most other roll-outs for v2009 aren't for another month from now.

Interesting. Thanks, Scott! And if anyone installs and uses SP0.0, I'd like to hear what you think and if you find any snags.

Jeff Mowry
A people who value security over freedom will soon find they have neither.

I'll let you know tomorrow, the install is DL'ing at the office right now.

Joe Hasik, CSWP/SMTL
SW 08 x64, SP 4.0
SW 09 x64, BETA 1
Dell T3400
Intel Core2 Quad
Q6700 2.66 GHz
3.93 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 4600

My install was a nightmare for some reason, but so far SW 09 is everything I've expected from the beta and PR's. Good to see Photoview in full release too.

Joe Hasik, CSWP/SMTL
SW 08 x64, SP 4.0
SW 09 x64, BETA 1
Dell T3400
Intel Core2 Quad
Q6700 2.66 GHz
3.93 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 4600

is anyone having trouble downloading anything in the downloads section? I try and it says contacting D/L site, and sits for a while, then IE cannot display page. like its timing out or something. its been like this for a couple of days now.

The download was spitting up an message about how the Activation site was under maintainence, but clicking OK fixed the issue... I had to click it like 3 times, both when it said it was and of course it would return saying it was fixed.

The connecting to the website was slow, but that could be due to the amount of traffic people that are downloading and installing the software last night and today.

Its going good so far outside of that message.

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Mine said that the site was under maintainence last night, but continued downloading behind the error message. When I got in this morning I clicked through two error messages and was done.

Joe Hasik, CSWP/SMTL
SW 08 x64, SP 4.0
SW 09 x64, BETA 1
Dell T3400
Intel Core2 Quad
Q6700 2.66 GHz
3.93 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 4600

Typically we do not install a new version until SP1.0. We might go ahead and install SP0 this time. Anybody on the pre-release found any bugs that would make you not recommend SP0 or do you recommend to go ahead and install it?

Flores

I actually found '09 PR's more stable than SP4.0 of 08. I'm taking the time to get some new and more in depth defaults set up before we make the move to '09, that's the only reason I'm waiting until SP 1.0 to upgrade my people. Get everything done in one fell swoop.

Joe Hasik, CSWP/SMTL
SW 08 x64, SP 4.0
SW 09 x64, SP 0.0
Dell T3400
Intel Core2 Quad
Q6700 2.66 GHz
3.93 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 4600

fcsuper said:
I didn't need any signicant new bugs in 09

If you're looking for a few bugs Matt I can have my in house API programmer write you a quick macro that pops up random, meaningless error messages, just so it feels more like some of the older SW product.

Joe Hasik, CSWP/SMTL
SW 08 x64, SP 4.0
SW 09 x64, SP 0.0
Dell T3400
Intel Core2 Quad
Q6700 2.66 GHz
3.93 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 4600

Is there any difference feature-wise between the photoview360 beta and this release?

I really only use 09 for photoworks and photoview360 at the moment.

Do I need to get a new license for 09? I am currently running 09 PR2, and am using a SNL_ANY licence file.

Joe,

Thanks for the help. That was an editing error, I think. need = find.

However, thanks for the idea. I might create such macros and add-ins for the pranksters out there and make them available on my site. This might be a whole new area!

I did something like this as a joke for ACAD 13 back in the 90's. I created a small .exe to replace the main acad.exe, so when the user would run ACAD, a fake menu screeen popped up. When someone selected an option, it would snipe back with an insult or refusal to do the task.

Matt Lorono
CAD Engineer/ECN Analyst
Silicon Valley, CA
Lorono's SolidWorks Resources
Co-moderator of Solidworks Yahoo! Group
and Mechnical.Engineering Yahoo! Group

So far it sounds as though v2009 is delivering on the promise of a more stable, functional product "to make us more productive". Nifty. I'll keep an eye on things here and see if anything show-stopping happens...

Jeff Mowry
A people who value security over freedom will soon find they have neither.

My understanding (based on the SW08 release/fiasco) is that the Gold Partner products have about 60 days to get thier software released for the new version after the release of SP0. True or not, I'll wait until my Add-In comes out with the 09 version.

I looked at the SW site to double check my video card and driver for 09 and it's not listed as having been tested. That's another reason for me to wait. In the past the nVidea driver was not the same as the Dell driver.

I'm anxious to play with the new toys, just not in a rush for new problems.

Harold
SW2008 SP4.0 OPW2008 SP1 Win XP Pro 2002 SP3
Dell 690, Xeon 5160 @3.00GHz, 3.25GB RAM
nVidia Quadro FX4600

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back