Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SW 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grawschbags

Mechanical
Jul 19, 2011
GB
Hi folks,

I have recently made the switch from a large organisation that has many seats for Pro Engineer, to a small engineering company that has one seat (yes, one) for Solidworks; and I am to be the core user.

Currently the have SW 2009 Premium edition installed. I can't however see the SW PDM tool anywhere on the system.

One of the designers that has dabbled in the use of SW (prefers to use AutoCAD) has given me the installation disc from which I can install the PDM tool.

The assemblies, models and drawings I have created thus far are stored on the office server, but I would much prefer to make use of them through the PDM tool.

Could someone please tell me if it's a simple enough job to install the PDM tool and make use of it, or am I playing a dangerous game by potentially wiping files I already have on the server?

Thanks.
G.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Don't start deleting anything until you've got PDMworks set up, have checked your files in, and are comfortable using it.

Installation & setup of PDM is fiddly but not difficult; there's a user-installation guide somewhere if you search the web and/or SW website hard enough.

To set it up properly relies on you first knowing how your company CAD system works, drawing approval & release procedures etc...

Hope that helps.

Simon

Thanks Simon.

From what I've seen so far of the company, the guy that uses the AutoCAD system just controls revisions of drawing on the actual drawing itself. Therefore there is no traceability to previous revisions.

If my knowledge of how Pro Engineers Intralink PDM system works, then I should be able to create baselines and what not and have visibility of different revisions under the same drawing number.

I will have a look at installing the PDMworks software from the disc I have been given.

Thanks.
G.

If your colleague is prepared to change the way he works, you can also use PDMworks to check in Acad drawings and revision control them, which might be useful. Be prepared for some time messing around with settings, but it's worth it in the end. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back