Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SW 2013 references

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctopher

Mechanical
Jan 9, 2003
US
I have noticed at my last company and current company, if assy's are checked out from PDMW into a folder on the server by more than one user, the assy will search for the models on the server when opened. ie User 1 checks out an assy into one folder. User 2 checks out a part into another folder that is used on user 1 assy, makes changes.
I have never had this problem until v2013.
Each user will get random different versions of the saved models. I try to keep only one version of each model in one folder, but hard to keep track of each user's mindset.
We are continuously having to fix the correct the assy's to find the right parts.
Has anyone seen this problem and what is the fix you have found? I have not found a setting yet to fix the issue.

Chris
SolidWorks 13
ctopher's home
SolidWorks Legion

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Perhaps - I don't understand, but User 2 really shouldn't come into play. User 1 should check out what he needs, do his/her thing, then check it back in to the Vault. You can't have two versions out there- by SolidWorks law - whatever changes User 1 makes MAY or sometimes may not be incorporated into User 2's tasks. (without the Vault) - it shouldn't have anything to do with v2013.

SW Professional 2012
64 bit SP1.0
Intel Xeon X(R) CPU 1603 0 @ 2.80 GHz
8.0 GB of RAM

I agree, but it's difficult to get multiple users to be disciplined enough.
I think it is searching the network for other files that may be used in the assy.
If the assy is not in the vault, no issues. But, when checked out, it tries to search everywhere.
I tested this by making a copy of a part to a different folder, made a change to it, did not check it into the vault.
Checked out the assy containing the same part file name, it found the new file in the new folder and switched them. The message popped up "This part is already open...do you want to open it?". No, but switched them anyway. This started in 2013 both at my last company and current company. We can't seem to get around it.

This is happening to others too that are logged into PDMW.

Chris
SolidWorks 13
ctopher's home
SolidWorks Legion

Huh. Then I take it back. Kindly wait for someone with v2013 to respond - or someone with more SW knowledge in general.

SW Professional 2012
64 bit SP1.0
Intel Xeon X(R) CPU 1603 0 @ 2.80 GHz
8.0 GB of RAM

Out of curiosity, why are you checking the files out from PDMW to a network drive rather than a local drive?

You could possibly reign in the search by tailoring the set of folders under System Options > File Locations > Referenced Documents. Each user could have their own checkout folder on the network drive and if the other user's search folders do not include that folder (or its parent), SW should not find the other user's copy of the files.

Eric

I always checkout to my local drive. But, there are several users here (maybe 10?) that have bad habits.
I'm working on changing that. Will take a while.

Thanks Eric. I have played with the System Options, but it doesn't seem to be consistent for everyone.
A little training and some beatings will help fix the issue. For now it's a PITA!

Chris
SolidWorks 13
ctopher's home
SolidWorks Legion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back