Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SW 2016 slow or crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spurs

Mechanical
Nov 7, 2002
CA
I am still having problems with SP2 on 2016 and reinstalling a fresh install has not fixed it.

When I create models of spur gears each single tooth defined by 4 or 5 circular arcs in a 2D sketch which is extruded, So if I have a 20 tooth gear I may have 120 to 150 arcs in the sketch.

Creating the model is no problem.... editing is a different story.

When I click on the extruded surface in the tree, it takes maybe 30 seconds for the model to "paint" the surface by highlighting each intersection point. Eventually it may (or may not) turn the surface blue and then I can deal with it. Often times SW just gets stuck and I have to close the program without getting anything done - annoying.

No other version I have used over 15 years has done this.

Any thoughts on how to fix this other than throw 2016 in the garbage? I have clients that are on 2016 and I have to use the version they are on.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have to ask the standard question: have you run SolidWorks Rx to see if there are any conflicts? From what you're describing, I'd say your graphics driver needs to be changed.

Jeff Mirisola, CSWE
My Blog

yes it was imported from dxf

why is this only a problem in 2016 then?

If I save the file as step and reload it, it does the same thing

I reloaded SW 2015 and the slow response to clicking on a surface is not present on the exact same computer that is running 2016. Can it still be my Graphics Card in such a case?

Spurs,

Are you running with "Use software OpenGL" on? That basically bypasses your graphics card and forces all display calculations through your CPU - not good.

Make sure you have no parts open, then Options > System Options > Performance > UNCHECK "Use Software OpenGL".

Most graphics cards needed their drivers updated when moving to 2016. Running SolidWorks Rx, after installing 2016, would have provided you with the information.

Jeff Mirisola, CSWE
My Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back