Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SW.5 system update

Status
Not open for further replies.

NavierStokesEq

Automotive
Feb 8, 2004
GB
Hi all,

I am looking to update our computer to run solidworks at a much more higher speed, main time lost is in waiting to big step files to import.

First, what lower end graphics card that will support real view graphics, other than the expensive ones detail in the solidworks package (we use Solidworks 5)

And what is the recommend cpu and memory to run solidwork quick??

One last question, Is it possible to memory farm in solid works, I.E, use sever memory

many thanks for your help

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Quadro FX 500 - but they are not great for large STEP files.

Try looking on SW website - they list what cards support Realview and then you can look up the cards at some site like and see what the price is - then you will be able to figure out what you want to spend - The numbers usally go from bottom to top and that is how they are listed from good to great.

CPU:
Latest and greatest is the best - RAM 1-2 GB - You are better off not farming any memory out to anything but what you have running. Also don't run any Apps that you don't need, that's just a waste of memory.

Regards,
Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
3DVision Technologies

faq731-376
faq559-716 - SW Fora Users

Check this faq559-974 I use the FX1400 and it's a real work horse.

Best Regards,

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SW2005 SP 2.0 & Pro/E 2001
Dell Precision 370
P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
XP Pro SP2.0
NIVIDA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

Do you trust your intuition or go with the flow?

Read before you write faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back