Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SW crashes while opening .stp files

Status
Not open for further replies.

sldwrksrobotics

Mechanical
Oct 15, 2007
US
I am trying to open .stp files and solidworks is crashing each time. I do not have administrator rights and will not get them Company policy. Is there a work around for this. I know for a fact the files can be opened by systems with administrator rights, the filse are good, but I am losing my back door to open vendor files. Suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would be suprised if it was an administrative rights issue. I just do not understand how a users rights would change the file types that can be opened. That being said I have always had admin rights over my own PC just not on the network.

I would give your reseller a call and see what they say.

Can you create a STEP file yourself on this seat (simple test of a cube).
If so, can you then read that file back in.

Admin rights should not have any bearing on the Step files, but perhaps the installations are different between machines with/without admin rights. You can test this theory by having someone with admin rights logon to your machine, start SWX and try to open the file. I'll bet they will have the same problem you do. Finding out what is different between installations done with and without admin rights might be a bit more involved.

- - -Updraft

We have a problems with step files crashing on 64 bit machines. They open fine on 32 bit machines. Could this be it?

I have opened quite a few step files from different manufacturers with solidworks 64 bit. I don't recall ever having a crash upon opening, even though they can take a very long time to parse.

I've had some step files open on my 64 bit machine that would crash a 32 bit system due to needing too much memory to load (I get some crazy large step files occasionally). Never had one that only opened on a 32 bit system.

Back to the OP: I've never known admin rights or lack thereof to have an influence on the ability to open a step file. What other differences might there be between your system and the ones these files succesfully open on?

This is an old thread - the OP hasn't even responded a month ago if they could write out and read back in a simple cube.

I am trying to open .stp files and solidworks is crashing each time.
Seen it before. Using SW Rx try cleaning your temp folders and backup folders. Make sure you have enough disk space. Defrag and chkdisk too. Look at the event viewer and see if it gives any particular reasons.

CSWP, BSSE
Phenom IIx6 1100T = 8GB = FX1400 = XP64SP2 = SW2009SP3
"Node news is good news."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back