Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SW Equations 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amacdes

Mechanical
Dec 28, 2001
AU
Has anybody come across any good tutorials?
Manual a bit sparse on details & examples

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I dont have the manual in front of me, so I don't know if this will help you out or not. While in a SW part, under "Help" search for "equations". There are several topics to choose from. I am not sure if this is more info than the manual.
What kind of equation are you interested in adding to your part? Or are you just wanting to gain knowledge of the equation option.

Jay

FYI, if you are using the API, then dont bother using equations. SW dumps each equation to a temporary one-line VBA macro anyway, then executes each in turn.

Anyone know how to include a distance (such as an extrusion length) in an equation?

It seems as though equations are limited to sketch dimensions.

Double click a feature then you will get a feature dimension, plus sketch dimensions.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [borg2]
CSWP.jpg

faq731-376

Thanks to the Tick, and to Scott.

Scott, I'd like to see your reply in the FAQ area, but am not sure how to do that, and in any case, I think you should get the credit for it (it was exactly what I needed)

John

Here is something else I need: I have a need to define the wall thickness of a part before I actually need to use it. I haven't seen anything that indicates I can create a variable name in the equations then use that name in another equation.

for example, I'd like to do this:

Eq. 1:
"Wall Thickness" = 0.1
Eq. 2:
"CBore Depth@CBore Sketch" = 0.5*"Wall Thickness"

When I enter Eq. 1, I get a message that it's an invalid equation.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

BTW, the counterbore is being put into a preform which is then split in half with each half shelled out in separate part files based on the same preform (I didn't create this group of files, I just have to deal with it). I'm sure there are other ways to skin this cat (multibodies for one), but due to the complexities of each half, I'm focused on not redoing the model, just making smart incremental changes

JJCPE:

In case like that, I make a sketch with a line with a dimension for its length. Then, I use the dimension the same way I would use a constant.

Not the best, but it works for me.

[bat]"Great ideas need landing gear as well as wings."--C. D. Jackson [bat]

Combining both the answers from Scott and The Tick, I discovered a reasonable solution.

Create a Surface Offset, then, using Scott's double click advice, capture the feature dimension and rename it "Wall Thickness", and add it to the Equations list. Leave the offset surface in place as a piece of reference geometry.

Create another one, repeat the process, and relate it through an equation as a percentage of the Wall Thickness.

The two offset surfaces convey the intent of the thing, and can now be used to drive the acutal Shell feature and attendant CBore dimensions (even if they aren't restricted to the surface used to create the offset, but lay elsewhere on the shell).

Thanks to both of you.

John

You may also want to look up link values ("link --> dimension values" in SW2003 help). This is another way to apply common values across many dimensions.

[bat]"Great ideas need landing gear as well as wings."--C. D. Jackson [bat]

DT (Design Tables) are used to help with equations in SW. I use DT to control my models over Equations because I can use Excel formulas to control my dimensions. I (you) can take that a step further by adding VBA callouts to your models with equations and a DT. It gives it some Automation. DT are probably not needed for smaller files, but then again they might be depending on your need.

You can find some VBA and DT examples at my site -
Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [borg2]
CSWP.jpg

faq731-376

JJCPE

You could also use offset planes rather than offset surfaces, which would probably create a smaller file and less likelyhood of future surfaces complications.

[cheers]
CorBlimeyLimey
Barrie, Ontario
faq559-863

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back