Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SW Explorer always minimized when opened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTick

Mechanical
Mar 5, 2003
US
This one annoys me to no end! Whenever I start SW Explorer, it is minimized, and I have to activate it by selecting it from the Windows toolbar. It's not like this on other computers. I can't find any references in the help. There doesn't seem to be any options to control this behavior.

Any ideas?

[bat]I may make you feel, but I can't make you think.[bat]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

well, if you like to live dangerously...

open regedit and check out:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SolidWorks\SolidworksExplorer\ExtReferences
look in the "RECT" param .. if either of the first 2 numbers are *negative*, make them positive.

Make sure to back up the key first, though.

I am guesing that System Options> Maximaize document on open doesn't force SW to maximize?

I've never encountered this one before.

Wanna Tip? faq731-376
"Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

While we are talking about explorer, maybe someone can help me out with something one of my co-workers ran into. He cna not open any files in SWExplorer,he keeps getting the message that the e-drawing data is not saved with the file. But, there always seems to be a but in there somewhere, if I go right behind them and open the same files in SWExplorer there is no problem.
Since it seems to be isolated to his program, is there any settings that we need to check to disable this or something?

turn off the "View 3d" option, in the SW Explorer under "Tools --> Options" in the "Display" options box.

[bat]I may make you feel, but I can't make you think.[bat]

Scott: We may have our differences of opinion now and again, but I gotta luv ya, man. I hope everyone caught your signature line there.

"When in doubt, always check the help."

It does seem like a lot of the questions that pop up could be quickly resolved if people were to do that. (Granted the current one could be a couple of things, but I'm speaking generally.)

We have finally managed to get our users to do this first before they come asking. It was painfully and sometimes we had to be a bit rude to them, but they really appreciate it now. It has finally turned the "button pushers" into knowledgeable users who actually understand why and which buttons to push. One always learns a lot more than one expected by reading the help.

3/4 of all the Spam produced goes to Hawaii - shame that's not true of SPAM also.......

JNR: Thanks bud, the feelings are mutual!

We all can't agree and everything ,but as long as we can agree that each of as are entitled to form our own opinons, I think will get along just fine here!

Teaching users to look at the help is a long and can be (as you have found out) a tedious process. Most of the calls I get here could be solved by reading through the help. I put that signature line in a long time ago and it still holds true today. Yes there was a time that I always called my Tech Support guy every time SW decided to do something strange. Now here I sit having the same thing done to me everyday. Don't get me worng, I don't mind in the least little bit, it's just strange how some things workout in one's life time. I still use the help from time to time. Heck, I have even answered questions out here that was in the help. People just don't think about the help files. But I think most people (mainly Men) think they don't need to use the instructions (or help), that's like asking for directions [lol].

To take it a step further for your users, JNR. Have them start looking through the Solidworks Knowledge base. There is A LOT of good information out there, that you can't find anywhere else.

Scott Baugh, CSWP[wiggle][alien]
3DVision Technologies
faq731-376
When in doubt, always check the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back