Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SW Explorer problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

timeline1968

Mechanical
Sep 3, 2006
US
My VARs have been utterly useless to me for helping me solve this issue, so I hope someone here has some experience with this that can help:

SW Explorer is finding nothing. I have a network drive that has all the drawings on that I have set up SW explorer to search through. I have removed all the "my documents" type entries since I don't store anything there.

This used to work back in 2007 for me, but then I changed some settings and it didn't work anymore. I knew I was getting a new system, so I didn't spend too much time trying to fix it, assuming it would go back to working upon a clean install. I recently got the new system, installed 2008 from scratch and SW explorer still isn't working.

I can't find how to force the indexing (other than the "index while at computer" option, which seems to do nothing). The results always say indexing complete, 0 items found. It's had days now to find files, yet the count remains at zero. This was such a usefull feature that I'm really missing it now.

Help.

Please.

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In SolidWorks go to Tools > Options > System Options > Search and set options to suit.

Also Tools > Options > System Options > File Locations > Search Paths and set what is needed.

Can't help with the Indexing problem. It was a PITA during earlier installations and slowed my computer to a crawl afterwards, so I disabled it.

[cheers]

You may need to check your indexing settings. Make sure you are indexing network locations you need.

SW Explorer can get flaky w.r.t. network drives. A real pain.

[bat]Honesty may be the best policy, but insanity is a better defense.[bat]
-SolidWorks API VB programming help

SW explorer '08 does not work with network drives or directories over the network in my own experience.

We have had NO luck in getting explorer to work, as for the VAR, well, once you pay the money...

Solidworks `08 S.P0.1
Core 2 duo 6850
2GB 800Mhz RAM
ATI FIRE GL V3350 Videocard
320GB SATAII
WinXP Pro SP3

If it is the indexing I'm thinking of it is based off of a Microsoft Desktop Search concept, which builds an index of file locations to speed in searching. However, Indexing is not currently supported with network drives Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, chose for the feature not to support network indexing. So messing with the indexing options on Explorer will do nothing if you don't store any SW files on your local machine.

I found an update to WDS on the web, it allows the indexing of mapped network drives, the only thing is, it's STILL not doing what it's supposed to do! The performance is sluggish at best. We have had solidworks for over a month, and we still cannot use solidworks explorer!

Solidworks `08 S.P01
Core 2 duo 6850
2GB 800Mhz RAM
ATI FIRE GL V3350 Videocard
320GB SATAII
WinXP Pro SP3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back