SW is autogenerating templates 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nobert_47

Mechanical
Oct 13, 2021
NO
Hi all,

I have some problems with SW autogenerating new templates for part, assy and drawing each time I create a new file.
We have the templates stored in a common area in a cloud service (due to the PLM system we are using) where also colleagues from other parts of the world have their versions.
All files are named differently than what is default, to distinguish them from the other versions.

Somehow, SW insists on creating new ones which then pops up as alternatives to the correct ones when we create our files.
For the Default Template settings in SW, I have set it to always ask, since I don't trust the system to pick the correct template files. These settings also change all the time, where SW suddenly points to other template files than what I have set.

Does anyone know how to stop SW from generating new template files, or have any idea why SW tries to do this?

I've reached out to local SW support, but they don't have a good explanation on this. They suggested to copy the templates to a local folder, but the point on having a common area is that we shear these type of files so everyone is using proper settings (not to mention when we change something...).

I have colleagues in NA using the same set-up as us, but they are not experiencing their SW creating new templates. So there must be a setting somewhere for this.

For those of you that have access to SW forum, this thread explains the subject also (so I'm not the only one...).

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi, Nobert:

Template settings are controlled in "Default Templates" and "File Locations" under System Option. If the template files are not accessible, SW will use its own template that comes with the software on C:\ drive.

Best regards,

Alex

Hi Jassco,

Thanks for replying.
Yes, I know about the settings for default and file locations. All of those are pointing to correct locations, but still keeps changing for the "default templates", not the path, but the file names.
The templates that are generated are stored in the same locations as our custom ones. So if the location is not accessible, it's strange that SW can store new files to the same location.

It's tempting to rename our templates files to the same name as the default ones, but I'm afraid that they will be overwritten. Besides, I can't tell "which template" I'm using if the name are all the same(!)

Two things strike me - the custom directory location should be read only so no files can typically be written. Also, check to see if the application has read permission for the default template location.

I make all my templates Read-only so you or others don't overwrite them accidentally. I highly doubt SW is going to overwrite your files when you open a file and it pulls another template, if they are read-only its one less worry you might have.

The question I have is, is it parts/assemblies & drawings? If it's a drawing you are talking about is it the template or is the sheet format you are missing, templates and sheet formats are 2 separate file locations and there are options inside the drawing that has to be selected to see the sheet format. if you go to the properties of the sheet then make sure that "Display Sheet Format" is turned on. Also, make sure the path is correct and you can see the formats.

If I recall Solidworks does not support Cloud service locations for Templates but the VAR should have informed you of that. I understand that is out of your control, but that might be some of the issue you are seeing as well.

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
Mechanical Engineer
Ciholas

"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

3DDave: I've contacted the IT dep. to help me setting the files / folders in read only. Hopefully this will help us a bit.

SBaugh: The problem concerns the templates, not the sheet formats. And all three (3) templates are being auto-created constantly. It's interesting what you write about cloud service. Do you have a reference to a page or something with more information?

thought about it some more and I recall that SW only creates templates if it cannot find them in the path you gave it.

I have only been told that from my VAR. if you look online for this SW seems to only support the 3DExperience cloud. However, some of these settings might need to be changed in your version of SW and everyone else in your group.

I assume everyone else is having the same issue, not just you.

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
Mechanical Engineer
Ciholas

faq731-376

I have seen this problem before.
I always save all three template files in same folder, where all users have access (PDM).
In System Options, File Locations: Set file locations of Document Templates, Sheet Formats, etc, to look at the folder.
In System Options, File Locations: Set Default Templates, set paths to the same location as templates. Check box "Prompt user to select document template".

Chris, CSWP
SolidWorks
ctophers home

Hi, Nobert_47:

Solidworks does not autogenerate templates.

Solidworks tries to use whatever templates you specified to use.

If the specified templates are not available or accessible, then SW will use default ones installed at location where the app is installed. Your default template location should be shown at "File Locations" under System Options unless you remove it.

Best regards,

Alex

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

After a couple of hours with CAD support on the phone, we managed to fix the issue with SW generating (or copying) new templates to our custom file location.
The solution was in the SW registry. We tried to map the path to the file folders, changing permission on folders, changing indexing of files etc.

What did the trick was to reset the registry by renaming the folder: HKEY_CURRENT_USER - SOFTWARE - SOLIDWORKS - SOLIDWORKS 2021, and by that forcing SW to create new settings.
Of course we copied the user settings beforehand, and restored them after the change, excluding the system settings. So file paths had to be set-up again.

Summarized:
- copy SW settings with "copy settings wizard"
- open the Registry editor and changed the name of folder Solidworks 2021 (HKEY_CURRENT_USER - SOFTWARE - SOLIDWORKS - SOLIDWORKS 2021)
- started SW and imported the SW settings, excl. system settings
- fixed the file paths
- done

Why this has happened is unknown. We have some users that have upgraded SW from previous version, and maybe we copied some settings during the process (can't remember), which might have caused this. But we also have one user that started directly on the version we currently use, so no copying there. But still he has the same problem.
Hopefully we wouldn't see this problem again.

Thanks for all the good suggestions.

Wow - that was entirely unexpected! Past experience was insufficient preparation.

(True story: After getting a user a full backup of a project to go provide off-site demos, he comes back a few days later and notes that none of the latest work by others, that he can see on other machines, is available to him. Remind him that a few days ago we, together, worked to redirect his CAD to use his own private copy. That was much easier.)

IDK if this had anything to do with it or not, but never do an upgrade unless it's between Service packs. Always do a new install when installing the latest release. It will or should copy most of your settings over into the registry with the proper paths. The copy settings wizard is not something you should use when jumping between releases, because it only copies over the path you saved at the time. Which might be OK for some settings, but not all settings.

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
Mechanical Engineer
Ciholas

faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back