Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SW Manufacturer Catalogues

Status
Not open for further replies.

OliverManhire

Mechanical
Mar 19, 2002
AU
I'm trying my very best to show my employer the benefits of 3d, and the only thing stopping him from purchasing SW right now is the very large jump from AutoCAD 2d.

I would appreciate you all adding to a list of OEM's that have 3d catalogues, especially in SW.

So far all I have is the Solid Mech library, and the Solid Works home page.

Regards

Oliver Manhire

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Oliver (and others),

I have sent an email to Jergens Inc. about their Solidworks download. There are 1790 parts in that one file, and they are NOT unfragmented or EcoSqueezed.

I took their original parts (after unzipping it was 307MB) and ran EcoSqueeze on them. They shrunk to 143MB.

I then zipped them up and the zip file was 88MB, instead of the downloadable 175MB.

They haven't replied, but I tried to educate them on "squeezing" their files before offering. If they are "standard" components, they SHOULD be squeezed anyway. Well, at least all my standard parts are, to save millions of little bites...

Just helping,
Mr. Pickles

Regardless of the number of vendors you find with 3D online catalogues, it is very likely that the majority of the parts which you include in your designs will be modelled by you. If you really want to convince your employer that there is a benefit to going to a solid modeller, your priority should be to show how it can leverage existing data while improving productivity and quality of new designs.

SWX2001+ has some new tools which make importing 2d Acad drawings very easy. The tools allow you to window select the items that you want for each of the orthogonal views. It then rotates your selected sketch entities onto the appropriate plane so that you can use them to build the model. Rotating and translating the sketches is very easy.
The only complaint I have about how SWX handles imported Acad data is that it does not give you an interactive preview of document or let you select which layers are to be imported when importing into a new part.

There are three good ways to evaluate solid modellers to select the one that is best for you:

1) Ask for a demo, but sent the VAR some examples of the work you regularly do so that they can customize the presentation specifically for you. The more specific you can be about the functionality that is important to you, the better your chances of really finding out if you are going to benefit from switching.

2) Attend a user group meeting. Ask some questions, especially from those in your industry.

3) Get a 30 day trial and set aside enough time to get to know the software and what it can do.

As for online catalogues, it is safe to say that 3D catalogues are rapidly becoming the standard. There have been a number of threads on this topic; you should definitely do a search for them.

Check with your major vendors to see if they have any 3d models for download.
Don't just take the word of your vendor - sometimes thay're woefully uninformed about the web savy of the manufacturers they represent.
Go directly to the web pages and look.
If you have to, call someone listed as a contact on the web page.
Often you'll have to "register" on the web page to get at the downloads.
Maybe the webmaster can help - as a last resort.
One of my vendors has 3d models, but I still prefer to create them myself.
Look here if you like: www.emerson-ept.com
It takes some fishing around, but well worth the effort.
[jester]
tatej@usfilter.com
aka: Little Debbie's Boy-Toy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back