Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SW Promo 0% Financing . . . Anyone here get it? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferris

Mechanical
Sep 4, 2004
US
Greetings,

I was wondering if anyone here was able to take advantage of the 0% finance offer Solid Works had going.

I applied, but I never heard back. That kind of rubbed me the wrong way. I have even placed (4) follow up calls but no one can tell me anything.

Ferris.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I haven't seen anything. Are you trying to contact SolidWorks directly? If so, you might want to find a VAR (value-added reseller), as that's the standard way to get the software and support.

"But what... is it good for?"
Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, 1968, commenting on the microchip.
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Well I spoke too quickly. They just called me and told me I was approved. Very cool.

I've been on the fence for some time now. Soooo it looks like Mechanical Desktop will soon become a part of my past.

Ferris.

Ferris,
When you get started, put the question out here for help. “How do I get started?” The members here will keep you from making the same mistakes I made.

Bradley

I am sure I will have a little “separation anxiety” in the beginning, simply because I know how to get things done in MDT. I will have to learn how to do these things in SW.

For the last year or so, as I work, I have been creating a list of things I feel I do well and things I wish I could do better. I have discussed this with my VAR. I will need to know things that surely won’t be covered in the training class. I need to pretty much hit the ground running. I have gotten his commitment that he will support me. Actually, having a list will make that much easier.

Actually, this 0% financing is a pretty good deal. I’m surprised I haven’t heard more about it. I stumbled across it on the SW website. 0% for up to 36 months. You must have a current subscription service for the length of the contract.

Ferris.

If you have the chance, try to do the tutorials on your own. You could probably run through them within a week. This will get your brain jump-started so when you do take a class, you can concentrate more on the "why" than the "how".

Biggest advice I can give: Don't try to force SW to act like MDT (or any CAD package you may know), embrace the new interface and functionalities. Only rely on your past experiences in CAD as a foundation, not as the pnly way to get things accomplished.

"But what... is it good for?"
Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, 1968, commenting on the microchip.
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

MadMango - very good advice. When I started using SWx I came from a Pro/E & SDRC Ideas background. I went through the tutorials which were a big help in getting started. The basic training class was a big joke....it was filled with ex-autocad weenies trying to acclimate to the world of 3D

Ferris, it sounds like you have a good foundation in regards to 3D MCAD so the transition should be a mind awakening...kind of like the Matrix when Neo swallows the red pill.

Ferris
I realize I am a little late on this post but I thought I would add a little more affirmation to your decision to switch to SW.

We switched our engineering department from MDT to SW about 4 years ago. The transition went quickly, the guys picked up SW by relating commands and similarities like extrude, defining sketches, planes, DOF to floating parts in the SW tree. In fact it seemed that the same basic principles applied to both packages. Now when we have hired new designers it seems that some one with MDT experience picks up SW a heck of alot quicker than ProE or UG. Now we still seem to use MDT for more detailed surface repair on imported models, it seems there is little more tweaking in MDT but SW is now our core package.

Oh yeah, I also purchased a few more seats last year on the 0% deal and plan a few more again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back