Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SW UPDATES/SERVICE PACKS

Status
Not open for further replies.

WilliamH

Automotive
Mar 30, 2004
US
I already went through the FAQ section on this question:

Is it possible to get SW service packs or updates OTHER than down load? My problem is I do my work at home and only have a dial-up internet access. Previously I was able to get a CD from SW with the updates.

My VAR tells me due to licensing, SW does not send out updates on CD any more. What the hell? They recently sent me SW2008 Sp0.0 on DVD.

Anyone out there with a fix?? And no, I don't want to place an antenna on my roof for SW! I have been a SW user since 1998 and am getting a little frustrated with the "corporate" policy changes the last few years.

Will

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As of 2008 edition All Install Disks are going to be DVDs the installs have about 4 or so Gigs of files for the Premium edition and using one DVD is a lot easier than swapping out CDs. You can requests CDs but you will be charged for this because the majority of disks they create are DVDs. It's much easier to create one DVD then 5 CDs.

I'm not sure if they'd spend the time to Rip these to CD but I'm sure your VAR will be glad to Download the Service Packs over their high speed connection and burn you a CD or several CDs with the files you need.

Michael

[jester]

All Service packs are in DL format only now. You have to DL the SP's. Been like this for years now. SP have not been out on CD/DVD for years now. 95% of the world is on some type of Broad brand connection. You will have to update your connection, if you can to a broad Connection to get the SP's at home. If you can get SP from another location you can burn a copy from that DL version.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

"95% of the world is on some type of Broad brand connection."

Not my part of the world. USA by the way. The USA is not 95% Broadband, by a long shot, bud. Not even close.

If I could get a DVD fine.

Maybe you're right; "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". You probably have something there in regards to SolidWorks!!

Thanks anyway,

Will

Will,

Best thing to do is to get with your reseller. They should be able to help you get SP updates burned to a DVD. That is part of what you are paying for with your Maintanance Agreement.

If they are unwilling I would take it further up the chain to a Regional SW Rep.

You will have to forgive Scott... He doesn't quite have his facts straight about broadband access. Yes, there are many people who do not have easy access (at a reasonable cost) to high speed internet.

Cheers,

Anna Wood
SW2008 SP1.1, Windows Vista
IBM ThinkPad T61p, T7800, FX570M, 4 gigs of RAM

WilliamH,

No need to be nasty! If your new here, then you might need to read the Policies a little closer!

There a lot more people on broad band than Dial up bud, maybe not 95% of everyone but there are a lot that are. Most businesses are on broad band in some fashion (Cable or DSL). Of course that does not include yourself... but your just out of luck for the SP you are either going to have to get a better connection or talk to your VAR into burning you a copy. Not all VAR's will do that... so good luck otherwise your SOL.

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

If the stats shown in are accurate, 95% may not be too far adrift if previous increases continued.

Quoted stats;
Feb 2003 33%
Feb 2004 45%
Feb 2005 55%
Feb 2006 68%

So extrapolating at 11.6%/year;
Feb 2007 79.6%
Feb 2008 91.3%

WilliamH ... If you have a laptop, could you go to an internet cafe (or similar) to get the downloads? Maybe the cafe would even allow you to bring your PC. I realise it is a big inconvenience, but it may be an alternative.

Make a note on your calendars to check the 2008 and 2009 reports.

[cheers]

William,
At the risk of getting this thread back on track, your var should be able to get DVDs with the latest service pack directly from SolidWorks.

WilliamH,

I'm not sure if you have looked into satellite internet, but I have a few friends out in the sticks who have gone that route and turned out to be reasonably happy with it.

Will,
I have the same problem working at home, almost. I do go to a job that has broad band. I put it on a thumb drive and take it home. What I would suggest is go to a friend’s house that has broad band and down load it from them. Maybe the local library would let you down load it there.

Bradley
SolidWorks Pro 2008 x64 SP1.1
PDM Works, Dell XPS Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU
3.00 GHz, 5 GB RAM, Virtual memory 12577 MB, nVidia 3400

My sincere appologies to all. Especially to Scott. My frustration level got very high, not typical of me.

My VAR has been a real disappointment. They tell me the problem is the SW license deal. They will not or cannot supply me with a DVD. I almost never get a call back from them, etc. My VAR is supposedly the largest SW reseller in the western region.

My next step will be to contact SW at corporate and request a DVD of SW '08 with latest SP. Originally that is where we acquired SW in '98.

I may have to get a satelite internet setup.

Thanks to all who responded to my inquiry.

Respectfully,
Will

It sounds like it's time to look for a new VAR. Do you know of others in your area? Contact one of them and they should be able to give you a regional contact at Solidworks. The way I understand it, you'll need to speak with someone at SWX before you can switch VARs because SWX will want to give your current VAR a chance to beg you to stay be heard.

My VAR is supposedly the largest SW reseller in the western region.
I thought GoEngineer is the largest SolidWorks reseller in the western region and I know you cannot be talking about them.

Bradley
SolidWorks Pro 2008 x64 SP1.1
PDM Works, Dell XPS Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU
3.00 GHz, 5 GB RAM, Virtual memory 12577 MB, nVidia 3400

"I thought GoEngineer is the largest SolidWorks reseller in the western region . . ."

No, GeoEngineer is not the VAR in reference. My VAR is headquartered in the SF Bay Area of California. I prefer not to name names and create more problems.

Next week corporate will be getting a call from me. Maybe I can get a realistic response from the TOP. I / We really like SolidWorks.

Regards,
Will

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back