Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SW2005 SP1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

dilbert247

Mechanical
Dec 22, 2004
GB
Hello everyone.

I have been advised by a number of sources that SP1.0 for SW2005 has now been released.
Can anyone confirm this?

Andy

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've been on SP1.0 EV for about 3 weeks. I've not heard of the production SP1.0 being released yet. It should be out some time this week.

Just a update. Finished updating company wide to SW 2005. Took us 8 hrs! All add-ins and licenses were on separate servers! People in IT that set it up are all gone, all new employees in IT now. Everything works great today. PDMWorks vault was the longest, 25gb. wow

Chris
Sr. Mechanical Designer, CAD

You're right Yogibear. SW sent an announcement to the SP1.0 EV users stating the production SP1.0 would be released the week of Jan 3. That week came and went so I thought it would show up this week. May have to wait until next week? I'm guessing like everyone else.

If you really want to give it a try or need the SP you should sign up for the EV program. The program has it's pros and cons but it does get you the SP a little quicker.

I think we're in the same boat as most I've heard from. Just waiting till it's released to up grade company wide. Seems like this one has just taken extra long.

This delay is not good. Does any EV tester detected important bugs on the SP?

Regards

I personally had no issues with SP1.0. Everything was/is working fine for me. I should also say I've very few problems with SW2005 in general. There has been a few things but it was cleared up with SP0.1

too many bugs to fix. I turned in 6 2days ago.

Chris
Sr. Mechanical Designer, CAD
SolidWorks 2005 SP0.1

Received this from our rep:
ATTENTION-SP1: SP1 is being held up by a bug in Windows XP SP2 that affects
loading of service packs (any application). SolidWorks is working
internally to see if they can come up with a workaround in order to release
SP1, but there has been no time frame indicated for the completion of this
task.

Flores

According to Greg Janikowski (SW Corp) from the SolidWorks discussion forum, the hold-up lies with a 3rd party vendor and they are trying to resolve the issue so the SP can be released. There was no mention of the bug in XP SP2, at least that I saw, but that would be very interesting if it was the problem. We think it takes SolidWorks a long time to release service packs, how about M$.

If it is indeed a M$ problem- maybe they should re-consider the use of that blasted Windows Installer. Been nothing but a headache since they started forcing us to use it. I'd rather see them expend development resources on SW bugs than working around M$ issues.

jk

Does anyone know the status of SP 1.0? I thought it was released by now.

Thanks,

Macduff [spin]
Meggitt Airdynamics Inc.
Dell Precision 370
SW2004 Pro SP4.1
XP Pro SP2.0
NIVIDA Quadro FX 1300

According to the SW website it's being delayed because of a problem with Windows XP SP2 and the windows installer. Now Microsoft can't even get their own installer right. Time to dump the windoews installer method and go back to the old reliable install shield.

Yep, being Micro$oft compatible can certainly have its disadvantages. I always liked Windows Installer because of the ability to do remote installations via the "msiexec" command, but I have had serious problems related to Windows Installer on more than one occasion. There's no reason SolidWorks couldn't use a different installer and include command-line options to do the same things you can accomplish with "msiexec."

Greg Janikowski in the SolidWorks forum has confirmed that the issue is in fact Microsoft Windows Installer based (3rd party). Time to bring back the Traditional Installer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back