Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SW2006 Flexible Assemblies is a bald face lie! (workaround?) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoilentG

Mechanical
Apr 21, 2006
US
Short Sarcasm Rant:

The "flexible" assemblies of SW2006 is really a buggy nightmare. It's soooo fun to open an assembly multiple times and have it say it has rebuild errors after you have saved it and rebuilt it with no errors. Oh the fun!

/Short Sarcasm Rant

Ok, so what do you gents use for workarounds?

Or do you not use flexible assemblies?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Actaully the errors were probably there the whole time. Most people don't realize if they did a ctrl-Q and rebuilt the assembly prior to saving and closing that hte errors would have a appeared. Because when SW opens a file it rebuilds the entire assembly/part and if any errors show up, most likely they were there prior to saving and closing... rebuild icon doesn't fully rebuild the assembly/part only the last feature.

You should always use the Ctrl-Q when working with your files.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
faq731-376

I find that typical problems with flexible assemblies comes when you have multiple instances of the same floating assembly in a main assembly. They all want to be in different positions, and this causes conflicts. Really the only way to solve this is to finish loading the main assembly, and suppress all but one instance of the flexible assembly. Then resolve each instance one at a time so that SolidWorks can figure out how to resolve each, and you should have no more errors.

It's stupid, and a workaround, but sometimes you just have to work within the limitations of the software rather than give up and lose all that power.

I use flexible assys very often and rarely have a problem with them. When I have had problems I found it was caused by the C2K interface (aka PEBCAK). i.e. conflicting or under-defined mates, etc.

[cheers]

We're noticing a problem when we open an assembly that has multiple instances of the same flexible sub-assembly, we get an error that says "Can not open file, too many open files." It's real strange because it's inconsistant and we can not seem to replicate the problem. Our VAR is looking into it but we're pretty much figured out that it's happening only on flexible assemblies. Sometimes, opening the problem sub-assemblies first and doing a rebuild and save sometimes helps.

C2K? I know PEBKAC and yes, I have to admit I'm a recovering one... but what's C2K.

Thanks for the replies... didn't know the CTRL-Q sequence. (star).

Jeff

Something else to consider for stability; I was told by my VAR that SW recommends keeping all "Flexible" assemblies in a "Rigid" mode and only switching them to "Flexible" when one needs to confirm the design integrity (running clearance, crash avoidance and so forth). We have seen repeatedly that staying in a "Flexible" mode has detriments on performance and tends to make SW “mathematically dirty” (as my VAR calls it). We switch to “Flexible” mode simply for design confirmation and continue to work in “Rigid” mode.

Cheers...

M.B. Price CSWP
Automated Assembly & Test Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back