Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SW2006 instability on W2K machines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mig26

Automotive
Jan 17, 2003
NL
My company is still using SolidWorks 2005 sp. 3.1 We are willing to upgrade to SW2006 sp 3.4 We run some tests on both XP sp 1.0 and W2K sp 4.0 machines.

It seems to be more stable than SW2005 on the XP machines, but on the W2K machines it is much more unstable. This is a showstopper at the moment to go over.

Could it be that we are still using MS Office 97'?

SW2006 still support W2K, but MS Office 97 is not supported anymore.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Then you need to upgrade your MS Office. You also need to check your video card drivers to make sure they are the correct ones for W2K. If they are not then that cold be the problem. ALso remember you need to do a new install of SW06 and not an upgrade of SW05.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
faq731-376

Another thing to note. SolidWorks 2007 will not be supported on Windows 2000.

Rob Rodriguez CSWP
President: Northern
Vermont SolidWorks User Group
(updated 5/01/06)
SW 2006 SP 4.0

Also note that SW recommends XP Pro with SP2.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites FAQ559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions FAQ559-1091

Thanks for the info. I was aware of the last two posts. Unfortunately, our IT department is currently working on a budget, and they seem not to care.

We are on XP pro sp1.0 And they are unwilling to upgrade for some very strange reason noboby seems to understand.

I will try the videocard driver first. If that does not work Office has to be upgraded.

I have Windows 2000 Professional on my home computer and SWx 2006 works like a charm. I have updated my video drivers and use the newer version of MS office.

It seems to be more stable than SW2005 on the XP machines, but on the W2K machines it is much more unstable. This is a showstopper at the moment to go over.

What characteristics is the W2K machine doing that makes it unstable?

Best Regards,

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SW2005 SP 5.0 & Pro/E 2001
Dell Precision 370
P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
XP Pro SP2.0
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back