Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

??SW2006 Mating Problem?? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

daz18983

Mechanical
Oct 9, 2003
GB
I am trying to locate part, which is a rectangular plate, in solidworks 2006 but i'm having problems. The plates 4 corners are labelled A,B,C,D.

Taking A as the origin i am trying position the plate so that

Point B is 14mm below A
Point C is 11mm below A
Point D is 3mm above A

I started by mating Point A to the origin of the assembly but after that it wont let me do much else. There must be a way, surely?

thanks for your help in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

From my testing, if you get A, B, and C where you want them D will be where you want it. This is regardless of plate size as long as the plate is big enough to span the vertical distances. All you have to do is:

1. Insert the plate into the assembly.
2. Verify that it is floating and not fixed.
3. Coincident-mate point A to the origin of the assembly.
4. Distance-mate point B to the top plane of the assembly.
5. Distance-mate point C to the top plane of the assembly.
6. If you want to fully constrain the plate, parallel-mate one of its edges to either the front or right plane of the assembly.

Thanks handleman, that works superbly. Here's a question though, would it be possible to control the different distances/heights of the corners in a design table or such?

Sure, the distance mates are just dimensions like any other and can be manipulated in a design table. Again, since three points define a plane you won't be able to explicitly define heights/distances of all four corners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back