Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SW2008 PC Crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graybags

Mechanical
Oct 6, 2003
NL
Hi,

Since upgrading to SW2008 my PC is crashing on average twice a week. The error code on the resulting blue screen indicates that the problem lies with the ATI graphics driver.

After this happened the first time I immediately updated the relevant graphics driver from the SW web site, however this has not solved the problem.

Graphics Card: ATI FireGL V7200
SW Version: 2008 SP2.1

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Graybags,
Try running “Use Software OpenGL” under System Options, performance.

Bradley
SolidWorks Pro 2008 x64 SP3.0
PDMWorks Workgroup, Dell XPS Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU
3.00 GHz, 5 GB RAM, Virtual memory 12577 MB, nVidia 3400
e-mail is Lotus Notes

SP2.1 caused a bunch of random graphics issues for people. Update to 3.0.
Also, before updating to the relevant driver, did you uninstall the old driver? Another thing to consider:
If you're running a Dell or HP computer, look under that in the "manufacturer" list for video cards. Sometimes the drivers are different due to hardware makeup.

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP
Certified DriveWorks AE
Dell M90, Core2 Duo
4GB RAM
Nvidia 3500M

I had the same problem with my ati firegl 7300 card
Windows was crashing and restarting with simple things like dragging dimensions.

I have installed ati latest driver 8.44 from there site and the problem seems solved.

I've seen this as well twice. It was in my case one of the rare occasions that the driver on the SW website was NOT the one to use. A later driver from the manufacturer, yet to be tested by SW, fixed the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back