Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SW2009 DVD's Arrived Yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GRF

Automotive
Apr 7, 2005
US
Has anyone received there SW 09 DVD's yet? I only ask because if IT gets ahold of my DVD's I will never see them so what to keep an eye out for them.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I hope they come soon, I have yet to be able to get a successful DL of x86 SP 0.0

Joe Hasik, CSWP/SMTL
SW 08 x64, SP 4.0
SW 09 x64, SP 0.0
Dell T3400
Intel Core2 Quad
Q6700 2.66 GHz
3.93 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 4600

I have not received mine yet. You can always download it through the Solidworks customer portal though if you'd like it now. I have tested 2009 again 2008 and it is amazing! It processes so much faster. When I ran a benchmark with 2008 it took 180 seconds and with 2009 it took 138 seconds. Incredible, just by changing versions. Too bad none of our customers have switched to 2009 yet.

Same here. Still waiting. My VAR said that they were to start shipping in Oct., and they also said that the release schedule goes from east to west. So you east-coasters should have them in hand by now. I haven't been able to confirm the release schedule with anyone at SW. Can anyone back up my VAR's nonsense?

Dan

I was at the 2009 roll out yesterday in Cambridge Ontario and our VAR said we will have them by mid Nov.

SW 2008 SP4.0
Dell Inc. Precision WorkStation 670
4096 Meg Installed Memory
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400
Windows XP PRO SP3

My VAR says they should arrive any day now. I have done the install from the down load but when I go to create the installation image I would prefer to run it from the DVD. I do not have logical reason for this other than it will make me feel a little better to install it from the DVD.

The other issue I have is the temp license file expires in 8 days and I have not heard anything about when I will get our ligitimate license file. All the users keep emailing me about the license expiring, because of the stupid dialog box that pops up.

Ha! No, in having experience with this shipping company loused up several times in the last month myself, I'd say SW is truly facing non-deliveries as a result of these guys (as they said). We might soon see the disappearance of a large shipping company.

Jeff Mowry
A people who value security over freedom will soon find they have neither.

My normal issues are that SW sends stuff to an address I had three or four years ago. I call to update my address and they read back my current address. I ask them where the discs were sent and (puzzled) they read my ancient address back.

"Do we see the problem now? That hasn't been my address for three years." "Yes, I'm not sure why we have that address in there." "Nor am I. Can we permanently kill it, so it never happens again? Like not next year? Again?" "We don't show any record of that address in our database, so I'm not sure where it came from." "It came from last year, when it was wrong then, too."

This year, I pre-called, and they read back our current address (yay). In the many years we've had a seat of SolidWorks, it's been sent to the correct address twice. Perhaps they should jettison the hidden address databases and stick with a single one? That way when I watch a one-minute-tip video at the SW web site I don't get calls from other VARs asking me if we'd be interested in SolidWorks. Dumb. [/rant]

Jeff Mowry
A people who value security over freedom will soon find they have neither.

Just out of curiosity what is the big need for disks and why is everyone waiting for them? Not trying to stir the pot just at this day in age it seems silly to waste time waiting for and messing with a disk to install when you can just download at any time and install?

Cole M
CSWP, CSWST, CSWI, CPDM
HP XW4300, 3.4g proc, 2.5g RAM, ATI Fire GL 3100
Dell M90, Core 2 Duo, 4g RAM, Nvidia Quadra FX2500M
Equus (custom), P4, 3.4g proc, 3g RAM, Nvidia Quadro FX3400

sldwkmin,

The downloads are sometimes (not often) corrupt.

It takes way too long to download the full package even if you have a fairly fast connection. Some people only have DSL or even dial-up.

My connection at home is 4x faster than my works connection. A higher speed connection simply is not available at its location.

[cheers]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back