SW2012 - PropertyManager lag in Drawings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest0527211403

Mechanical
Apr 24, 2004
CA
Hi Folks,

I've been noticing significant lag when selecting drawing entities in SW2012 (see below for PC specs). It's turned the drawing process into a "click, wait... click, wait..." experience. It's taking me longer to do simple drawing cleanup tasks as a result, since I find myself spending more time waiting than actually making the needed changes.

When I click on an entity (dimension, note, etc), my mouse pointer disappears for a little less than a second each time. During this time it seems like SW is loading up the PropertyManager window for that item, as I regain control of the mouse pointer after the PropertyManager appears.

The problem is less significant when I've already selected an entity of the same type. That is, if I have a note selected and I select another note, the lag is less pronounced. But if I have a note selected and I select a dimension (or vice versa) I get the lag issue.

I've run Solidworks RX to clear my cache, etc with no improvement.

I'm not sure when this crept up, as I was doing a lot of 3D concepts & FEA work for a few months. It was when the design moved to the drawings phase last month that this issue became apparent to me.

A colleague with the exact same workstation as mine does not experience this issue, even with the same drawing. So I'm thinking that the problem is isolated to my machine. Before I get our IT guys to come in and do a fresh install, I want to see what other options I have.

Is there a setting somewhere that may be causing my PC to lag when selecting entities in drawing mode? Has anyone experienced issues like this? I've searched for the issue and found others with similar issues, but I can't seem to find a means to resolve it.

Thanks in advance,

SW2012 SP3.0 x64 + Enterprise PDM
Dell Precision T3500, Intel Xeon W3670, 3.20 GHz
NVIDIA Quadro 2000 , Driver version 8.17.12.7090
12GB Ram
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Also try getting the newest approved graphics card driver from SW. The SW Tech people keep telling me that is is my driver when ever anything goes wrong with the visual in SW. I now have the latest and greatest and it appears to work fairly well. FYI.

SolidWorks starting with 2010 had a new quick popup dialog for dimensions giving quick access to editing the dimension note text above below and after the dimensions. That dialog or popup is most likely the cause of the flickering you are experiencing. Just do all your work in the property manager because it will just be quicker that way.

Also just a side note IT guys have no clue at all how to do CAD installations whatsoever. Tech people always claim graphics card or tell you to reinstall when they don't have any actual ideas of or solutions to your issues. If that's not the case with your company you're extremely lucky.

"It's not the size of the Forum that matters, It's the Quality of the Posts"

Michael Cole
Boston, MA
CSWP, CSWI, CSWTS
Follow me on !w¡#$%
@ TrajPar - @ mcSldWrx2008
= ProE = SolidWorks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back