Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sweep and rotate profile along helix

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdowsett

Mechanical
Jan 8, 2010
GB
I have a sketch in the x-y plane. (in case it's relevant it's defined from two datumn curves and an outside edge).

I would like to sweep it (as a cut) along a helix that propogates in the z direction (ie, in the xy plane it appears circular, centred at the origin). I have defined said helix as a datumn curve, don't know if this is necessary or not.

If I remember rightly I eventually got something from variable section sweep - however, this maintained the orientation of the sketch.

What I need to do is have the sketch/profile rotate it's orientation about (x,y)=(0,0) as it moves down the helix, such that the outside edge is always the outside edge.

I think what I achieved with the vss was that the sketch origin moved about the xy plane in a circular fashion matching the displacement of the helix, and no rotation of the sketch plane occurred. It looked very odd!

It has been suggested that a helical sweep would work - but the options appear to be to define the profile normal to trajectory or in a plane through the axis - I'd like it in a plane normal to the axis.

Am using WF3.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Many thanks for the input - I finally solved it this evening.

For info I couldn't open the second example above, maybe it was created with WF4?

Yep - I created a straight trajectory coinciding with the x & y plane intersections, then also created a helix trajectory (rotating about that x-y plane intersection, and moving linearly in the z direction) which I used as reference for the x-direction. The sweep was then a constant section.

Cheers folks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back