Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sweep Blend following a circular or elliptical path 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recon1775

Aerospace
Jul 24, 2002
US
I'm trying to make a very specific cut that contains 36 different sections around a elliptical path, so the start and end points for the sweep are the same. Pro-E seems to have a problem when the start and end points being the same location and fail everytime, but without it the tangency of the cut becomes ugly and does not follow the true curve.

Any suggustions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

After going through several different test models I finally determined the issue I am having with this cut.

With a swept blend you have the choice to either sketch each section or select already existing sketches. I found that no matter how simple the SELECTED sketches are the swept blend will fail if the trajectory is continuous (i.e. a circle, ellipse, or any curve that comes back to the start) If the curve is not continuous and you SELECT the sketches the swept blend will work fine. If you have a continuous trajectory the only way for it to work is you must draw each sketch within the swept blend feature.

So in summary:

Drawn Sketches and Continuous Trajectories = WORKS FINE
Select Sketches and Continuous Trajectories = FAILS EVERYTIME
Drawn Sketches and Non-Continuous Trajectories = WORKS FINE
Select Sketches and Non-continuous Trajectories = WORKS FINE

Anyone else seen this?

I've seen it too.

My previous employer made power screws and sometimes oscillators. I would form the trajectory just short of 360 degrees, ie less 1 degree on each side of the ending datum plane. After making the cut on the trajectory, I would create a cut on that datum plane referencing the profile of the trajectory cut and cut both side until those surfaces.

Was it correct? No. For what I was doing though, I just needed a pretty picture to display since we were not using the models for the CNC's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back